FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

ISO 9660 file names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Professional Edition Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpokeefe

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: ISO 9660 file names Reply with quote

Using Gear 7.0 on a windows platform....

I'm trying to burn in a format that would allow Pure ISO 9660 while keeping the 64 character length AND with the dot and semicolon.

In my evaluation of Gear 7.0, none of the options under the ISO name handling drop down list allow for this (I've tested them all). However, in an older version of Gear, (Gear 4.2) this can be acheived using the "translate to ISO completely" option.

Ultimately I'm trying to burn files to a CD without level 1 truncation and keeping the semicolon ; 1 extenstion. In my testing, all the option that give me the ";1" file extenstion truncate the file names. I want to keep the length max at 64 in addition to having the ";1" extenstion that my customer has been used to getting with version 4.2.

I am using an evaluation copy downloaded from the Gear website....which raises the question: Am I getting all the functionality in the trial version vs. the full copy on CD?

Your help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpokeefe,

The version number, ";1", is only required with level 1 interchange. Since it is not required with levels 2 and 3, GEAR does not add it automatically. Since these two levels allow the longer file names but don't add the version number directly, you will need to manually add the ";1" before writing them to disk. GEAR will maintain the version number, which can be verified by using the GEAR command "READSECTOR" or an application like ISO Buster.
jpokeefe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Gear Pro Burning .;1 in level 2 and level 3 Reply with quote

Matt,
You stated that "The version number, ";1", is only required with level 1 interchange. Since it is not required with levels 2 and 3, GEAR does not add it automatically."

Is it possible to get Gear to burn without truncating in Level 2 and 3 (without manually having to create the .;1 at the end of every file)?

Based on Gears Explaination of level 2 and 3 below, one would think that it would burn up to 30 characters (without truncating).
*ISO-9660 Level 2*
File names can be 30 characters long (includes the extension).
Directory names can be 31 characters long.
All characters must be upper case and the only characters allowed are A-Z, 0-9, '.', and '_'.
Files may also have a version number, which is separated from the file name by a semicolon.
*ISO-9660 Level 3*
File and directory names can be upto 31 characters long and must be in all upper case characters.
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpokeefe,

I sent you an email, but I'm going to post the contents of the message here for other customers who may be in the same situation.

Apparently, the ISO 9660 spec was changed, and GEAR changed with it. However, an upcoming release of GEAR will include the ability to force the ";1" extension to be added. I will let you know as soon as a build is available.
jpokeefe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: ISO Naming Issue Reply with quote

Thanks Matt

Please let us know when this new release is scheduled to be available
jpokeefe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this release and if the functionality that we currently utilize on Gear 4.2 is now back in the release??????
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpokeefe,

Unfortunately at this time I have no expected timeframe to give you. I will post the date(s) as soon as they become available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Professional Edition Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: