FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

trying to use norton ghost with new PC with new DVD Writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobsauers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: trying to use norton ghost with new PC with new DVD Writer Reply with quote

I'm trying to use Norton Ghost 10.0 with a new PC, which has a brand new DVD Writer, the HP dvd writer 840b (this is the one that can burn the label side with Light Scribe technology. Ghost consistently fails with an error when it tries to start burning the DVD. Symantec support sent me to Gear to make sure I had updated api files, which I do. However, this DVD writer is not in your list of supported drives. can you please help?
Manny Carzola
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: drivers Reply with quote

bobsauers, here is your drivers update utility. Please run this and reboot your system.

ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/drivers/Driver_Installer.exe
bobsauers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the driver update utility. I also updated the configuration files. Norton Ghost 10.0 still will not work with this DVD Writer. It writes for about 3 minutes (approximately 1 cm of tracks starting at the inside of the DVD) and then ejects the tray and complains that it cannot write to the file.

Also, this DVD writer (HP dvd writer 840b) is still not listed in your list of supported recorders. therefore, Symantec refuses to help me with the problem.

why would this dvd writer not work correctly?
bobsauers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: have you tested on dual-core systems Reply with quote

Is it possible that your drivers have a problem running on dual-core systems. The system where I'm having trouble is a Pentium D (dual-core) -- brand new!

Norton Ghost runs successfully on a single-core system.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEAR licenses our CD/DVD recording ?drivers? to Symantec (among many other companies) to add CD/DVD recording capabilities to their software products.

Updated GEAR drivers are available here:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm

Updated recorder configuration files are available here:
ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/recorders/GEARwrks354/

To ensure your recorder works with the GEAR ?drivers? I recommend downloading a fully functional 30-day trial of a GEAR Software product, i.e. GEAR PRO Professional Edition

Available here: http://www.gearsoftware.com/pro-professional.cfm

If the drive works with a GEAR Software product, then the drive works with the GEAR drivers. When we license the drivers to third parties, it is up to them to decide how they implement the drivers. Often these companies ?filter-out? drives that are indeed supported by the GEAR drivers based on drive capabilities their software does not feature ? such as DVD-RAM. If the recorder is discovered to support DVD-RAM (for example) and the third party software that uses the GEAR drivers does not support DVD-RAM media, the drive may not be ?available? or ?listed? within the third-party application because of such ?filtering?.

If your recorder works with GEAR, then it works with the GEAR drivers. If it works with GEAR drivers in a GEAR Software product, but not in a Symantec product, then the issue is with that product, and at their request, I would have to refer you back to Symantec for support.
soybees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been removed for violating our Forum Usage Policy (http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: