FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Verify = 100% CPU usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dscott23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Verify = 100% CPU usage Reply with quote

I've been using Gear DVD Standard for a while now, and I have no problems burning, except for one very annoying issue; I have it set to verify the disc after burning, but while verifying it jumps to 100% CPU usage. This basically leaves me unable to do anything else on my computer while it's verifying, everything just moves too slow. Is there a setting somewhere I can fiddle with to fix this?

System specs:

XP Pro SP2
AMD AthlonXP 2200 @2.00GHz
1GB OCZ PC3200 (Dual Channel)
Pioneer DVR-106D (1.08 firmware)
Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R

Any help would be great, thanks.
D.
Manny Carzola
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: CPU Usage Reply with quote

dscott23, check to see if youe DMA is enalble . This will insure faster access to memory.

Go to the Control Panel in the Start | Settings menu
- Double click the System icon.
- Go to the Device Manager on the Hardware Tab.
- Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers entry.
- Open either the Primary IDE Channel or Secondary IDE Channel, depending on which IDE bus your recorder is located. Make sure DMA is
is selected for transfer mode.
dscott23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMA mode is enabled. I thought this myself, maybe it had dropped to PIO mode, but no.

This is the only program it happens with. If I'm using another burning application, and set it to verify after burn, the CPU usage isn't nearly as high, and I barely notice it running if I'm doing something else on the PC.

D.
Manny Carzola
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: CPU usage Reply with quote

Thank you dscott23, I will pass this along to development.
dscott23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, this is on an Abit NF7-S v.20 motherboard. I'm going to be building another small PC for my email, web surfing, burning etc., so I'll post back the results of it running in the new PC.

D.
dscott23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I put together my other system, and the problem is gone. CPU usage during verify is now 25-30%. I would put the issue down to the IDE drivers for the Abit board.

One other thing, now that I have Gear installed on another system, I have to reactivate it, but I can't find the email address to contact anyone for the new activation code.

Thanks,
D. Scott
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send the e-mail to license@gearsoftware.com
melba

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: cpu usage Reply with quote

Defrag your hard drive regularly so it runs as efficiently as possible. Only perform this activity when plugged in, not on battery power.Dim the monitor. Many laptops have this option available and many include CPU and cooling enhancement enabling you to squeeze every last bit of power from your battery.Limit the use of external devices. This includes all USB devices. Your mouse and Wi-Fi use a lot of battery juice. Simply shut them down or unplug them.

LINK REMOVED
emmahudson88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dscott23 wrote:
DMA mode is enabled. I thought this myself, maybe it had dropped to PIO mode, but no.

This is the only program it happens with. If I'm using another burning application, and set it to verify after burn, the CPU usage isn't nearly as high, and I barely notice it running if I'm doing something else on the PC.

D.

I also think so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: