FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Would Not Buy Again Due To Delays in License Re-Activation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSL
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Would Not Buy Again Due To Delays in License Re-Activation Reply with quote

After changing my "D: drive" (not the boot drive), I am being asked to reactivate Gear 8.01 since, apparently, the hardware fingerprint has changed and I am getting a message that there are no activation keys left (I previously needed to reinstall Windows). Given that I purchased the program in November, 2005 I don't feel that one reinstall of windows and one minor hardware change are unreasonable in that period of time or should cause such inconvenience in terms of program reactivation.

Although I understand (and support) the idea of one license per machine, the activation scheme currently in place is awkward, slow (reactivation apparently requires customer service intervention which takes several days and multiple requests -- it should be a completely automated process), and does not take into consideration a user's periodic need to either reinstall windows or swap hardware (the hardware fingerprint should change only when the system board is changed.)

Although I enjoy using Gear Pro 8.01, the time consuming and laborious reactivation system would prevent me from upgrading to future versions or recommending the program to others.
LSL
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Got Key, Thanks Reply with quote

Michael,

Thanks for getting me the new license key so quickly!
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a user who has run across this (issue?) more times than I can count, I'd like to say that whilst it is a right pain, it's not a serious issue because the application still works, despite the key mismatch.

All you have to do to carry on using GEAR when this irritating screen pops up is to hit the "continue" button, or "cancel" and it will load.
It's really a nag screen, and as long as you send the new hardware fingerprint the replacement key will come back
LSL
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. . . nevertheless the process should be automated to the greatest extent possible. For example, I would like to be able to transfer the license activation from an old machine or damaged windows installation without e-mailing customer service each time simply by uninstalling the program and, as part of the uninstall process, have Gear's license key server updated so that I am free to install the program on a "different" computer. I am familiar with another piece of software that also binds license activation to one machine at a time, but allows the enduser to manually deactivate one license-machine fingerprint in order to be able to activate the software on a different machine fingerprint through an online account.

Such features would lessen the burden on the enduser and customer service without compromising the license activation system. In my opinion the license should be bound to one computer at a time, but not necessarily to the particular machine and its hardware configuration at the time of purchase/initial installation. This is especially true given the changing state of technology and, because of its quality, the long life cycle of a GEAR product.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would make a great feature request - and I'd definitely agree that the activation system could be more efficient.
Perhaps tied to CPU/Mobo configuration, as throwing a "mismatch" message simply on installing an extra HDD or a LAN card is a bit stringent!
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these comments are very well thought out, and are very valid.

Surely both of you realize that although GEAR's current activation method is certainly an inconvenience for you given your situations, most GEAR users rarely change anything on their machines that would require them to re-activate.

We try to issue re-activation keys as soon as they are requested, and of course that means having to verify the purchase first etc.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not complaining michael!
Just suggesting the activation could be less stringent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: