FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Speed Selections Greyed Out
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make by linking that other post was:

Not every piece of software will work the same on all hardware.

Whether or not the drive is FULLY supported or not is your issue with GEAR.

The user on the other forum I linked to posted that he was unable to obtain anything other than 4x speed for the same drive using a later version of the same burning app that came with your drive.

Not to be nit-pickly, but GEAR does not support LightScribe - so any drive that has LightScribe capabilities should be listed as 'not-FULLY-supported'?

As we said before, it possible that future revisions of the GEAR drivers might increase support for this drive.
LSL
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please understand that GEAR Video 8.x is my software of choice which is why I was disappointed to encounter these issues (i.e. limitations) when I replaced my 2 year old Benq ide drive with a new SATA Samsung drive.

Semantics aside, most endusers would agree that if mastering software cannot use the media codes regardless of the brand media, then that software does not support that drive. Although Lightscribe support is important for some folks, it is not as critical as reading the media codes.

BTW, I have tried DVD media from different manufacturers (Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and MAM-A) rated at different speeds from 4x to 16x and there is no difference. Gear does not recognize any speed media, including 4x media, but will burn using the default speed of 4x.

Since there are relatively few SATA drives available, my guess is that the Samsung will become increasingly popular. Something to think about and to pass on to the developers of the software.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I do understand your issue, and feel for you, in all honesty, I rarely burn at anything other than 4x.
With Hi-Speed Media/Burner combinations, 4x is great as a standard. Too much slower and it's not good, too much faster and it's also not much good.
LSL
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, but I would like the option to choose the maximum burning speed of the media. Furthermore, it is my understanding that the newer DVD media rated at 16x produces a lower quality burn at 4x then say 8x - 12x.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSL wrote:
Understood, but I would like the option to choose the maximum burning speed of the media. Furthermore, it is my understanding that the newer DVD media rated at 16x produces a lower quality burn at 4x then say 8x - 12x.

Fair comment.
The understanding is wrong though. 4x with High Speed Media & Burners is equivalent to single speed on Low Speed media & burners.
You don't want to go slower than 4x with the combo. Or, IMHO, faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: