FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Copiedtyrack.wav rather than mp3 files
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is your destination path F:\My Documents

(not that it 'shouldn't be')...but is that a mapped folder?
I need to know all the specifics.

I can also confirm a 'special character' issue.

I ripped a CD with quatation marks in the freedb info for the track name. I set GEAR to rip the whole disc and it did all the tracks except the one with the ""
The track name had: (total remix 7") in the title, thus was skipped - it did not stop at that track, like it does for you.

Other tracks with parentheses were done, just not the track with the quotation marks

Can you rip CDs with the freedb disabled?

Edit > Preferences > Audio/Video (tab)

[ ] Use FreeDB... (uncheck)
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Szabo wrote:
Why is your destination path F:\My Documents

(not that it 'shouldn't be')...but is that a mapped folder?
I need to know all the specifics.

Yes. Right click My documents and you can set the target where you like.

Michael Szabo wrote:

I can also confirm a 'special character' issue.

I ripped a CD with quotation marks in the freedb info for the track name. I set GEAR to rip the whole disc and it did all the tracks except the one with the ""
The track name had: (total remix 7") in the title, thus was skipped - it did not stop at that track, like it does for you.

Other tracks with parentheses were done, just not the track with the quotation marks

Ok, there is as issue. All illgal characters need to be stripped prior to ripping or at least their needs to be a message to the user.

Michael Szabo wrote:

Can you rip CDs with the freedb disabled?

Edit > Preferences > Audio/Video (tab)

[ ] Use FreeDB... (uncheck)

I just tried it will Zidane and all tracks ripped ok.This is with blank titles such as, 01 Track Title.mp3

This is frustrating I have posted in this forum a few times before about trouble rippig and I was never told about this special character bug. The frustrating thing is I can use the freeware CDEx http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/to rip all thse without a problme and this is years old..why can't gear be fixed to deal with these anomalies? Not impressive,

So getting back to Zidane, i remove the : in the album title & from track 5 and all there is left is letters and spaces. And it still does not burn...what do you think?

Last edited by boardtc on Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

OK, I get it. GEAR Video has a problem ripping CDs with illegal freedb server information.

When I ripped the CD that 1 track had an illegal character, GEAR ripped the whole CD but skipped that particular track - it did not cause GEAR to do nothing - it skipped the track with the illegal character and KEPT GOING.

Special characters have more of an effect on program processes other than be rejected as a illegal character. Often illegal characters cause program intructions such as a line feed, backspace, etc which can be intrepreted in many different ways by the program.

The illegal character bug will be logged, and I hope the developers fix it, however you are the only one that has presented this issue, and since the work-around is relativlely simple, I don't know that they will address the issue immediately.

I understand that 'other' software can do what you want, and I agree with you that GEAR should be able to do the same - however - just because some other software works, that doesn't mean that GEAR Video is at fault. There are TWO perspectives to this. If the track names are not allowed to have \ / : * ? " , then WHY does the freedb allow those characters in the disc information?

That is one perspective that you are not acknowledging. GEAR is not responsible for the content of the freedb server, and will somewhat (erroneously I admit) assume the info it retreives from the freedb is accurate and contains characters that are valid for file/folder names.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

So where does that leave us as regards zidane album...what's illegal about this information http://i17.tinypic.com/2mcu521.jpg?
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have acknowledged gear is not reliable for ripping with freedb.

I have cdex installed on my machine only because that has been my experience. I just tried to rip zidane with cdex here's a screenshot of the 4 year old program working first time, http://i15.tinypic.com/497b3mg.jpg, showing the illegal characters which you say Freedb should not store in the database though that is the name of the artist/album/title. They shouldn't store these seemingly because the names should be changed to accomodate the bugs in your software.

I've had numerous problems ripping cds and you've had the problems yourself as you have admitted. Your QA could reproduce these problems and development could debug and fix these issues. Please can I ask that this issue is taken seriously and this thread is passed onto someone who can make a decision about solving this problem and not saying I don't know. Can that individual please reply in this thread, having read it fully and understood the issue.

Thanks you.

Regards,

Tom Corcoran.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardtc wrote:
Ok.

So where does that leave us as regards zidane album...what's illegal about this information http://i17.tinypic.com/2mcu521.jpg?

It looks like the actual title has "illegal" characters to my untutored eye.
I can see a "/" as well as a ":" in the album title, and wonder if it is this that throws the process?
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mail neil. Turns out the freedb field is not the one used for burning, it's gear's way of displaying artist / album, you will notice this field greyed out during burning. The album and title fields are the ones used.

Cheers, Tom.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They shouldn't store these seemingly because the names should be changed to accomodate the bugs in your software.

Not exactly what I said...but anyway...

I already said that GEAR 'should' parse the characters for characters not allowed as a file/folder name. What I said about the freedb is that GEAR takes the info from the freedb 'as-is' and 'attempts' to use the retreived results from a 'free service' to use as the Artist/Album/Track Names.

The request has been made for GEAR to parse the illegal characters from the freedb results.
Albert
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Boardtc,

I would like you to know that Michael has created a CR for this issue; in fact he did this some time ago.

Our developers ARE going to fix this eventually.

What you need to understand is whether it is a simple fix or not it goes at the end of a very long list of development projects.

This itself, is a feature request and not a bug at all.

You could say Windows has a bug for not allowing special characters if you like, and they also probably would call "allowing special characters in a file name" a "Feature" as well.

Eventually we will provide the feature of correcting the special characters so some extra freedb names will work.

I must also set some perspective. You may be surprised to find out that very few people are buying GEAR to rip audio CDs. In fact I believe Michael stated this earlier, but you are the first person to really push this issue.

And so you know GEAR has burn burning CDs since the conception of recorders, well over 10 years, and only now this comes up?

You can't expect us to push this feature request up the line of 300 CRs, when it?s been not asked for for so long, and now one person is interested?

However, we will add this eventually rest assured.

I am closing this thread, and any further arguments along this line will be deleted. This issue is over now.

Best Regards,
-Albert
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: