FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Is this a straight Authoring application now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Is this a straight Authoring application now? Reply with quote

Just to clear a few things up.
Is GEAR Video 9 going to be a straight authoring only application, or will the rest of the functionality from GEAR Video 8 be present at some point in the cycle?
Right now, all I get the option to do is start authoring a DVD-Video disc when I launch. Surely this cannot be all there is to the app?
Where are the ROM titles?
Where are the CD titles?
GEARZ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Is this a straight Authoring application now? Reply with quote

Yes. GEAR Video 9 is a dedicated DVD and DivX Authoring application. User feedback indicated that a 'swiss army knife' aproach of having a single application which does everything results in making compromises which weakens the application's useability.

As for normal CD & DVD recording functionality I can make no announcements today but keep your eye on the website in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.

I am very sorry, but I believe this to be a serious mistake!
It's gonna cost a lot in lost sales.
There are already a lot of authoring applications out there, and I see absolutely nothing at all so far that makes me think "Hey - this is good stuff".
Where is the USP? (Unique Selling Point)
How much is this going to cost?
WHy should anyone buy this over, say, downloading a copy of Muxman, or DVD-Lab standard? Or TMPG's DVD-Creator application which even includes Dolby Digital Audio encoding.
Let's look at another burning application for example, which is probably your biggest competition.
(I loathe it with a passion, but that is personal).
That does everything you can think of. (another burning application has 5.1 from Stereo, and a LOT of other cool stuff)

I'm sorry to be so negative, but another basic Abstraction Layer authoring tool is not needed.
GEARZ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest criticism of GEAR Video 8 was the user interface and the disjointedness of the design. One reviewer stated "There is a lot of power under the hood if only you can find it.".

When evaluating our options for the future the message from the industry was clear. What was needed was a very easy way for consumers to create a DVD Video disc. And that is GV9's UPS. Along with that we are one of the first applications to support the new DivX Ultra format.

We truly understand that we can't please all of the people all of the time. But we remain confident that GV9 will fill a gap in todays market.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEARZ wrote:
The biggest criticism of GEAR Video 8 was the user interface and the disjointedness of the design. One reviewer stated "There is a lot of power under the hood if only you can find it.".

Anyone who could not work this application out in very short order must be a low-grade moron. It's drag & drop, with a very standardized interface. Plus a full manual - I suspect that actually reading must be beyond some people then!

GEARZ wrote:
When evaluating our options for the future the message from the industry was clear. What was needed was a very easy way for consumers to create a DVD Video disc. And that is GV9's UPS. Along with that we are one of the first applications to support the new DivX Ultra format.

We truly understand that we can't please all of the people all of the time. But we remain confident that GV9 will fill a gap in today's market.

I hope you are right.
I just do not see it at all, and believe this to be a serious judgement error.
Naturally I will do my best in the beta programme, but you're gonna lose a LOT of sales. The swiss army knife approach is the better one, as evidenced by the success of the *other* application, along with getting it bundled with burners. Right now, my problem is that I can see *nothing* that would make me buy this application, and nothing that would make me recommend it to anyone I know either. That is what seriously worries me.
I have been recommending GEAR in various forms - GPME for "pro" users and Gear Video 8.2 for non-Pro users.
I'll still be recommending GPME, but there is no reason at all I can think of to recommend GEAR Video 9. Sorry, but it offers nothing new at all.
DivX? Who really, honestly cares? The quality of DivX is appalling. Even this new "Ultra" version. MPEG-2 is bad enough, but DivX is truly awful. The pixellation on my Plasma from DivX is even worse than trying to watch Sky Digital TV. There is no substitute for a healthy bitrate. It's just not watchable - and this is on a brand-new, still not available to the public DVD-V player that also has the DivX & DivX Ultra decoders built right in. DivX is, by & large, for those who rip DVD and illegally trade them online by uploading to BitTorrent sites. DivX had their shot at the video market well before DVD attained it's popularity. It failed. The quality is just not up to it.
Lets look at costs - a CD-R is around ?0.19, a DVD-R is around ?0.30.
For ?0.10 you can have a DVD-Video disc instead of DivX. Far higher quality. So we must agree DVD is really the core here. And this is where I see problems. There is simply nothing in GEAR Video 9 that can be perceived as the USP (Unique Selling Point).
Whoever told you guys that you were getting it all wrong must have been working for the competition. They lied to you
GEARZ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your concerns have been duly noted.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to generate DivX Ultra files has more use than burning it to disc and watching it on the 50" LCD in the living room...

It is unfortunate that the DivX format has been branded "the pirates codec" and has been branded as such for quite some time.

I do not see ANY blogging sites posting VIDEO_TS content, as the download times would be ridiculous!

Quote:
The quality of DivX is appalling. Even this new "Ultra" version. MPEG-2 is bad enough, but DivX is truly awful. The pixellation on my Plasma from DivX is even worse than trying to watch Sky Digital TV.

As it is, I do not understand why many blogging sites are converting the users' uploaded content to flash, talk about horrible quality!

I have a 40" Sony Bravia at home, and the "home-theatre" DivX 6 profile looks great at 1368x720, so I don't know what you're looking at!

HD DVD and Blu-Ray sales are hardly impressive, and most of the hand-held portable players now support DivX (unless of course they are proprietary players!)

GV9 can export to DVD-Video, so I do not see what the problem is?
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to hear me argue about Flash being grim beyond belief.
That's for certain.
I ran off a DivX Ultra disc to CD-R, and played it through my new - as yet unavailable to the public Cambridge Audio 540D MkII, and it looked about as good as Sky Digital does when compared to an SD-DVD played back through at 720P Upscaled.
Not even close to what I would consider ads acceptable quality, but then again I also consider MP3 to be the work of the Evil One as well. Unlistenable IMHO.

What is still bothering me here is the Unique Selling Point.
Why should anyone buy GV 9?
It's massively cut down Abstraction Layer.
I know - from running in Beta and moderating on support forums that all users - no matter what they may say in any polls, or anything like it, want as much bang for the buck as they can get - and there simply isn't any here at all. No Dolby Digital.
No editing of video encoding.
No decent menu creation.
No scene creation.
No fancy navigation.
No CD-ROM
No DVD-ROM
No CD-Audio or Audio editing.
No data discs at all, just very very basic DVD-Video.

There is nothing I can see that would say to me "Buy This Application" and remove the one that was supplied with my burner.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEAR Video 9 can do this...

Generate photo slide shows with animated transitions and background audio
Mix slide shows and videos in the same project
Combine photo slide shows and video clips into the same clip
Create 'custom chapter points' in the video editor
Straight-forward video capturing
OPTION to export as DivX or DVD-Video

Your creativity is the only limiting factor.
Quote:

ran off a DivX Ultra disc to CD-R, and played it through my new - as yet unavailable to the public Cambridge Audio 540D MkII, and it looked about as good as Sky Digital does when compared to an SD-DVD played back through at 720P Upscaled.

Well, I don't know what to say about that. My 40" Sony Bravia - long-available to the public - shows DivX at 720p just fine...IMHO.

Laughing
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Szabo wrote:
GEAR Video 9 can do this...

Generate photo slide shows with animated transitions and background audio
Mix slide shows and videos in the same project
Combine photo slide shows and video clips into the same clip
Create 'custom chapter points' in the video editor
Straight-forward video capturing
OPTION to export as DivX or DVD-Video

Your creativity is the only limiting factor.

Yes, not in dispute.
What I cannot do though is
adjust the video bitrate (something I can already do in GEAR Video 8.2)
select audio format (something I can already do in GEAR Video 8.2)
Create VCD/SVCD (you know - something I can already do etc etc.)
Create a data disc (something I can already do yada yada etc.)
Create CD-Audio
Edit Audio
Create CD-Extra
etc.
SO the new version to my way of looking at things is a downgrade.
There are fewer features - much fewer. Therefore the price must be much cheaper. Which means you need to sell twice as many copies, which is not going to happen because the feature set is just too limited.
DivX? Whoop-de-do. Not for me, thank you.

Quote:

ran off a DivX Ultra disc to CD-R, and played it through my new - as yet unavailable to the public Cambridge Audio 540D MkII, and it looked about as good as Sky Digital does when compared to an SD-DVD played back through at 720P Upscaled.

Well, I don't know what to say about that. My 40" Sony Bravia - long-available to the public - shows DivX at 720p just fine...IMHO.
Laughing[/quote]

MPEG-2 at 720p is far superior.
DivX is dreadful to my eyes. Sorry.

I really am sorry about this, and bitterly regret that I have had to say these things - I am a dedicated GEAR fan, and have been for a long long time now. I'll still be actively promoting the rest of the toolkit, especially GPME (which in my opinion, no Pro or even semi-pro company should be without) and whatever "swiss army knife" is to replace GEAR Video.
I guess my objection to the product is not that it is what it is.
It can best be summed up by saying that GEAR Video 8.2 blows GEAR Video 9 clean away. It does much more than the "newer" version, so I do not see the market for it. The low end of DVD Authoring is already saturated with low-cost applications and adding one more with a substantially reduced feature set is not going to do GEAR justice.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Based on comments and Gear Product Comparison I'm using 8.2 Reply with quote

Based on the statements from Gear in this forum that Gear Video 9 is just a video application, I am staying with 8.2. It might be a no future upgrade product, but I'm not willing to give up the broader feature set. I signed up for the beta and now I think I'll just pass.

Mark
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Based on comments and Gear Product Comparison I'm using Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Based on the statements from Gear in this forum that Gear Video 9 is just a video application, I am staying with 8.2. It might be a no future upgrade product, but I'm not willing to give up the broader feature set. I signed up for the beta and now I think I'll just pass.

Mark

This is what I am talking about!
And the end users are going to look at it in much the same way.
Price is going to be seriously important here too.
Look at http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda3.html
This is under $70.
It includes Dolby Digital options (And having just LPCM is a disaster, as it dramatically reduces space available for Video with it's 1.509Mb/sec bitrate against that of 0.192Mb/sec for Dolby Digital)
DivX authoring (Also fully licensed with the Ultra codec)

Competition out there is fierce at this level, as well as cut-throat.
GEARZ
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Is this a straight Authoring application now? Reply with quote

You have made your dislike for GEAR Video 9 very clear so I see no need to continue this discussion as I believe you will not be satisfied until someone at GEAR anounces that we will abandon the product and I can assure you that this is not going to happen.

We understand that for HIGH END users such as yourself, GV9 is not the product you are waiting for. Unfortunately you do not seem to understand that there are many more people out there who don't know what MPEG is then there are who want to adjust the capture bitrate. You also do not seem to understand that there are far more people out there who like to share their content in a good quality and highly compressed format such as DivX then there are who play there DVD's off $200,- pre release, high end DVD players on plasma TV screens.

You may be surprised but some feedback we are receiving indicates that GV9, in certain aspects, is actualy still too elaborate.

We understand the market and understand that there is a huge gap between the feature rich yet confusing products such as TMPG and the minimalist DVD Maker in Windows Vista.

We also understand that many GV8 users do not fit in this market so I will discuss internaly the possibility to continue the GV8 product line in one way or the other.

I hope that you may be willing to reconsider your position regarding GV9 and provide us feedback that will make our product the ultimate DVD & DivX Ultra product for the masses!
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the simplicity of the product. It worked without any configuration. All I want is a program that lets me take my video from my camera and make it into a dvd that can play in the best possible quality without a lot of effort.

I did have one issue with the final output on some videos which I'll post to another thread, but regarding the base functionality of the product, I like it. In my opinion, this software would be best if it 1) Creates the Best Possible Quality Output, 2) Creates Output that Plays on All DVD Players, and 3) Works out of the box no matter what kind of hardware or video source I'm using.
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I like the simplicity of the product. It worked without any configuration. All I want is a program that lets me take my video from my camera and make it into a dvd that can play in the best possible quality without a lot of effort.

I did have one issue with the final output on some videos which I'll post to another thread, but regarding the base functionality of the product, I like it. In my opinion, this software would be best if it 1) Creates the Best Possible Quality Output, 2) Creates Output that Plays on All DVD Players, and 3) Works out of the box no matter what kind of hardware or video source I'm using.

David.
Options 2 & 3 are impossible to guarantee.
There is no actual requirement for any Set Top player to support written media at all, although most do. All the manuals will tell you "As long as the disc is properly/correctly finalized for DVD-Video" it should work.
Because of the inherent issues with written media, full guaranteed compatibility with all DVD players just cannot ever be guaranteed.
This is because of any or all of the following:
1 - Incorrect blank media support (Some accept DVD+R, some DVD-R, some both & some none at all)
2 - DL support - same problem. Some will accept +R DL, some -R DL, some both & others none at all.
3 - Write speed used. Too high will create too many errors so the players correction cannot keep up.
4 - Bad quality blank media - the biggest source of problems. Stick to Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim only.
5 - You simply cannot reasonably expect any package to work 100% guaranteed with every possible software/hardware combination available on PC. There are hundreds of millions of combinations available and it is just not possible to test them all.

Best you can do to try for widest support is this:
1 - Use DVD-R blanks.
2 - Burn at no more than 4x (for 16x media with High Speed burners)
3 - Test-write to an RW disc before writing to an ordinary disc. This will save a lot of coasters.
4 - Uninstall ALL Packet Writing utilities like another burning application's InCD, or Direct-To-Disc, or anything like this that treats the blank disc as a system drive. This is because these packages will not allow a burning/authoring application exclusive access to the burner, and this is vital for reliable burns. Also it's a good idea to disable the built-in Packet Writing from Windows by going into "My Computer", right-clicking your burner & unticking the "Allow recording from this drive" option under "Recording". (It won't stop GEAR working - just the XP version of another burning application/Adaptec (I cannot remember which it is) that is embedded into the OS).
These applications interfere by continually "polling" the burner every few minutes to "see" if you have placed a new blank disc in the drive, and when it "finds" one it will try & take over the system. This is bad. You don't need packet writing these days either - a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM creation tool is far safer, more reliable, gets more on the disc etc.....

Video Source.
To get the footage into GEAR, you'll be needing one of 2 options:
1 - Capture via FireWire. This is the better way IMHO.
2 - From an existing file on your HDD.
This is another area you must be careful in.
DVD video uses MPEG-2 compression. This essentially discards 11/12 of the original data, and once this is gone it is gone for good.
The problems always come from when reusing an already compressed file. This will always reduce the quality, as you are recompressing a file that has already been heavily compressed. If your source is the wrong resolution you will have problems.
NTSC DVD = 720x480, with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 0.9.
PAL DVD = 720x576, with a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.066
DivX AVI files use Square Pixels - be careful.
MPEG-1 can also use odd resolutions, like 640x480, in Square Pixels, which will not translate to DVD-Video without artifacts.
So, for successful DVD-Video authoring, you should ideally work with DV AVI raw files. These run at around 13 Gb/Hour of running time, and the Audio should be set to 16 bit 48KHz on your cameras as well - avoid the use of 12 bits at 30KHz or whatever they default to.
If you are going to want to do a lot of editing of your videos, then you'll need an NLE sooner rather than later.
Try http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html
for a very high-powered tool at a fraction of the usual costs. If you are confident you do not need to edit, then you don't need this - but to be honest, my experience has told me that if you feed your DVD-Video authoring tool with the final edited files, it all works a lot smoother at the burn.

On the plus front.
GV9 encodes the Audio to LPCM at 16 bits 48KHz.
All DVD players are required to be capable of playing this back.
GV9 will also optimize your Video for you when it encodes it to MPEG-2.
You will get as close as possible to a universal disc that will play across the widest range of players using this package.

If you need any detailed info about any part of the process, please post right back.
Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: