FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Gear Pro does not get pass initialization screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Professional Edition Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cratz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Gear Pro does not get pass initialization screen Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my PC, re-installed OS and apps, including GEAR Pro (licensed).

However, GEAR Pro does not get pass the initialization screen. It crashes with the message, "An unhandled win32 exception occurred in gear.exe [####]" (with #### being a four digit number that changes on each occasion)

My PC setup includes the following:
Motherboard: Asus P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP, Bios version 0501
Drive 1: BENQ DW2010
Drive 2: NEC ND-3500AG

Please help.

tia

Cratz
Albert
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cratz,

Are you installing GEAR from a physical disc you ordered, or from an online download?

I would suggest unintstalling GEAR from the Windows Add/Remove Programs, and completely redownloading the product you purchased from the www.gearsoftware.com website and trying to re-instal.

It sounds like something may be wrong with the installer you used.

-Albert
cratz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Albert,

Did a uninstall, re-download and re-install of Gear Pro as recommended.

Problem still persisted. Also uninstalled. re-downloaded and re-installed 32bit Driver. Did not help.

The puzzling thing is that other burners that I have on the PC are working.

btw, this motherboard has only one IDE slot (JMicron IDE controller), and it shows as a secondary IDE channel (not primary!) under Device Manager. Not sure whether this is significant.

Cratz
Albert
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I looked a little deeper into your issue, and perhaps you might find this microsoft article interesting, and btw this is not a GEAR error, this is actually a system error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811191/EN-US/

Please let me know, if this helps solve your problem.

-Albert
cratz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Albert,

I have Visual Studio installed, so when a exception occurs, the Just In Time debugger fires up.
However, I don't have the issue discussed in the kb article you referred to. I checked the registry, etc and the shell entry the article talks about is set to "explorer.exe"

----
If I choose to run the JIT debugger when Gear Pro crashes, it brings up a message box saying the following: "Unhandled exception at 0x20117265 in gear.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."

Cratz
cratz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Albert,

I have Visual Studio installed, so when a exception occurs, the Just In Time debugger fires up.
However, I don't have the issue discussed in the kb article you referred to. I checked the registry, etc and the shell entry the article talks about is set to "explorer.exe"

----
If I choose to run the JIT debugger when Gear Pro crashes, it brings up a message box saying the following: "Unhandled exception at 0x20117265 in gear.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000."

Cratz
Albert
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cratz,

If you are willing to walk through this, I would suggest to try a clean re-install. This is different from simply uninstalling and re-installing.

The steps would be:

This is in the hopes that some registry entries were partially created but not fully installed. If the error in installation causes this, it is possible that on a re-install it will see the partial entry and not fix the registry problems. Removing the entries mentioned, will appear to GEAR as if our drivers have never been installed and it should fully implement the driver install again.

If this does not work, then there is the possibility there is some kind of conflicting software that makes use of the SPTD drivers or some other shared resource, that is causing conflicts.

Do you have any virtual drive software on your machine, or anything else that makes use of CD or DVD recording of note?

It is very strange GEAR is not working on your new machine. I am hoping we can get to the bottom of the cause to this issue.

-Albert
    cratz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Uninstalled Gear. However, did not find any of the registry entries as indicated.
    Re-installed Gear. Same problem.

I have DEAMON Tools 4.10 / SPTD 1.50 and Virtual CD 9.0.0.0 running.

Cratz
    Albert
    GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Daemon tools for one has a known bug that causes havoc with the SPTD drivers. They provided a fix for this though. Generally all this does is stop devices from showing up in GEAR, not completely make GEAR crash.

Please go to this article, and follow the steps for the Daemon Tools patch, and let me know if anything changes.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=SPTD_Drivers

-Albert
    cratz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Eureka!
    Uninstalled Virtual CD, rebooted, and voila, Gear is working.

Thanks for the support. You have certainly guided me towards the solution.

Regards,

Cratz
    Albert
    GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot!!

Glad to hear it!

Thanks for being patient and willing to debug this fully.

-Albert Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his motherboard has only one IDE slot , and it shows as a secondary IDE channel under Device Manager. Not sure whether this is significant...

LINK REMOVED
    Frans
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shouldn't make a difference, but the drivers installed for the IDE/ATAPI controller may.

It is generally recommended to install the drivers that came with the motherboard, and not the Microsoft versions Windows may install.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His board has only one IDE connector, and a secondary IDE channel as the device manager under display. Do not know whether this is significant ...
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Professional Edition Support All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: