FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

iTunes - Vista Home Premium - No CDRW/DVD Drive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DHN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Now it is clear.... Reply with quote

Discovering this website and forum has been an eye opener for me. For the past four months I have been fighting with Vista and iTunes and Norton Ghost 12. Under XP iTunes and NG worked fine. After installing Vista everything (most everything) worked fine until I installed iTunes. Then I lost my two DVD drives. Uninstalling iTunes brought them back. Then later I installed NG and lost both of my drives and uninstalling NG brought them both back.

I have been repeating this process four times over the last four months and today I found out what the problem is (from this forum). Clearly the GEAR drivers are not compatible with iTunes and Vista nor with NG and Vista. The three seem to not be able to live together. I have been running without iTunes now since Vista, but I have really regretted losing NG. Acronis True Image works with Vista since it must not use GEAR drivers. I am using TI, but would really like to go back to NG.

Please try to find a solution to this problem since it seems GEAR is really the one who could make this fix. Software not using GEAR drivers seems to work (TI) and software using GEAR drivers does not work (for MANY of us).

Thank you.
finn78

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....

I'm sticking up for GEAR. Categorically there drivers do ?work? with Vista. Microsoft have signed them....so we can all end that conversation right here.

The problem most people are having is the fact that they are running or at some stage have run virtual drives or other software with well documented conflicts with GEAR products. Even if you have uninstalled virtual software drivers / software and no longer use them, chances are there are drivers + other bits and pieces still lying around, that will be very hard to track down

So here is my "fix" (think GEAR have also posted this....

Go to this link: http://forum.duplexsecure.com/showthread.php?t=274

Download the 32 or 64 bit hotfix (depending on what operating system you are running.

Run it the exe file.

Now, If ? and only if - the install prompts that you ?already have? the hot fix installed, run the update.

If however it does not - cancel the install.

This has worked for 99% of my clients, so try it before pointing the finger at GEAR.

My other suggestion would be to reinstall your operating system. I build win32/64 XP & Vista machines that run iTunes no problems or conflicts.

All the conflicts occur once the client has started to install freeware and virtual software etc.

Importantly...the uninstall software included with many freeware products is dreadful!
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are aware of this issue affecting several users, however since we have never been able to reproduce it, and to my knowledge nor has Apple or Symantec, it is impossible to determine what is causing it and make a fix for it.

We are currently testing a new driver installation routine which meets the driver installation requirements imposed by Vista's Service Pack 1.

However, I do not know if this will resolve the issue being reported in this thread.

If interested in trying out a copy of this new driver installer, please send an email to support@gearsoftware.com and indicate you want to beta test the new driver installer.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Gear software and iTunes Reply with quote

I have two machines and it is a problem on both. The drive will vanish even before reboot. It just doesn't do it right away. It's the upperfilter entry in the registry. Take it out and uninstall and reinstall the drive fixes it as well. A reboot is not necessary. Just because Microsoft signs off on something doesn't mean it will work. After all how many updates and service packs do they send out to fix issues? The fact so many people have the problem means it is not compatable with Vista. I unloaded all CD software, cleaned out the registry, just installed Gear and iTunes and still have the problem. None of the fixes people have posted work. All 3 companies should try to find a solution or why would anyone want to buy or use any of their products. Maybe iTunes can be convinced to use a different burning software? Since GEAR says it is not them. My solution is to stick with XP for my computers. The Vista machines are my daughter's and Niece's. I'm staying away from all three products until there is a fix.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: CD Rom disappearing iTunes and Gear Reply with quote

My problems really started after installing Printshop 22 and Vista patch to make it compatible. Uninstalling Printshop did not fix it. If you really want to try and find the answer. Try that to see if it creates the problem and look for the solution.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that just came to mind is the possibility that non-Vista compliant software, i.e. older versions of Print Shop or non-Vista compliant printer drivers etc might also be [part?] of the problem.

Although the people that are suffering from this probably don't believe us, we have been trying for MONTHS to reproduce this issue....AND not have it resolved with the instructions we continually suggest.

SPTD driver conflicts (Daemon Tools, Alcohol etc). We've EXPERIENCED these issues and have found resolutions.

Without being able to get our hands - literally - on a system that suffers from this - and for us to BELIEVE that the users ARE INDEED doing what we ask...I don't know if we can really get to the bottom of this.

Some users are simply replying with, "Try that...doesn't work." or "No. I don't have anything like that installed"...and these replies come in faster than they could have even tried what we've suggested.

There is no magic pill to resolve this issue.

The one common line we hear is, "Well, iTunes WORKS ...until a reboot"
If that's the case, how can anyone possibly state the drivers don't work? There is some issue with the installation of the drivers or permissions of the user doing the installation.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: itunes and Gear work around Reply with quote

First let me state I validated that all my drivers are digitally signed off by Microsoft.

In order to get iTunes to work do the following:
1) Boot with the upperfilters intact with the Gear driver. You will not have any cd rom listed in Vista. If you look in device manager the drive will have an exclamation point and in driver details Gear will be listed.
2) Go to the upperfilters key in the registry and rename to UpperFilters1 and exit.
3) Go to device manager(if you look at the device details for the drive, Gear will be gone). Now uninstall drive and then scan for new hardware. The drive will come back and will now showup in Vista.
4) Go back to regedit and rename UpperFilters1 back to UpperFilters. This brings Gear back to the driver details and is necessary for iTunes to run. Everything will work until you turn off your computer or reboot.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have not been able to reproduce this issue on any of our systems running Vista, nor has Apple or Symantec.

However we have received a couple of reports from users who updated to iTunes version 7.7.0.43 which resolved the issue.

You may want to try the following:
    - Ensure the GEARAspi driver set is installed on your system and that GEARAspiWDM is the first entry in UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    - Download and run the driver installer that is on our site (http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm)
    - Reboot the system
    - If the CD/DVD drives are still missing in Explorer update iTunes to version 7.7.0.43 or newer and reboot.
If after this you still do not see any CD/DVD drives in Explorer, please generate a System Information file and email it to support@gearsoftware.com.

You can generate a System Information file by clicking Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type msinfo32.exe and click OK. In the System Information dialog select Save in the File menu.
williamkidd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially thought that I had the same issue as many others here because my combo drive (cdrw/dvd-rom) was no longer reading discs, however I was able to see both of the drives in my system and now am 95% sure that my combo drive has failed (tried it in my other system that has no iTunes).

From what I have read in this thread the GEARAspiWDM "driver" should be started and running after bootup when you look at it using msinfo32 (i.e. System Information). However this is not the case on my system. I should mention that I did update the drivers using the Gear driver installer. When I did a search for "gearaspi" on my system the result was 18 files of which one was dated 2/08, 16 were dated 4/08 and the last one was dated 8/08. The one dated 2/08 is an inf file located in c:\windows. That one stood out to me for some reason but have no idea if it means anything. Prior to running the update I only had 4 files matching the criteria if I remember correctly.

Now the strange part is that I was able to burn a cd using iTunes despite the GEARAspiWDM "driver" not running. This was using my second drive which is a dvd-rw. I thought that was what was supposed to be connecting iTunes to the optical drive. I should mention that I didn't remove the upper or lower filters in this troubleshooting attempt although I have tried that before. I also have lowerfilters of pxhelp20 (from another burning app) which are probably running in place of the GEARAspiWDM which could explain how I was able to burn a cd. One other thing I noticed was that the pxhelp20 show a Start Mode of Boot in System Info while the GEARAspiwdm show a Start Mode of Manual.

I think I'll trying removing the lowerfilter only to see if that will start the Gear software when the system boots because I do not see anywhere else in the startup programs that pxhelp20 is loading.

I almost forgot to mention that this is Vista Home Premium that I am working with and also that I am using iTunes 7.7.1.11.
williamkidd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that I am perplexed by my continued troubleshooting would probably be an understatement but hope that parts of this post will be helpful to those experiencing the disappearing drives. I'm also hoping that the Gear site admins can shed some light on what is going on with the Gear drivers as well.

Here is what I have done and found out since my last post. At this moment in time the gearaspiwdm driver is showing as started and running in System Information. However, it took maybe thirty minutes after startup for this to happen. In between startup and now I was able to burn another cd using iTunes with no problems so it appears that even though SysInfo isn't reporting the driver as running it apparently is or I'm thinking that I wouldn't have been able to do the burn. I kept checking SysInfo as I was doing things to see if anything triggered it (such as loading a cd, opening iTunes, starting the system or burning a cd) and it only reported that it was not running. My question for Gear is why is it taking so long for the driver to show up as running in SysInfo? I ask this because the other driver that I mentioned in my previous post, pxhelp20, was showing up as running right after startup.

As far as that other driver, I decided to disable it just in case it was causing a conflict with gearaspiwdm. I did this by renaming, not deleting, the two pxhelp20 files that I found in Windows Explorer. Pxhelp20 no longer shows up in SysInfo so I think I did what I intended there.

So what I have now is gearaspiwdm listed in the upperfilters section on the cd/dvd drives entry in the registry and I am able to burn a cd using iTunes using Vista so I will agree with Gear that this combination will work.

Now for something that I haven't seen mentioned here but was found in the MSDN forums: http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?pageindex=0&siteid=1&postid=1849511&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

The post that I am talking about is by Bepsy and is on the third page of the thread. The poster mentions uninstalling the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from device manager and letting Vista reinstall upon restart. I went a step farther and uninstalled the controllers (there were three) as well as the two optical drives all at the same time. I will mention though that I checked my other system and it doesn't even list the IDE controllers but if they are on the systems of those experiencing the disappearing drives it might not hurt to try this because Vista will reinstall the drivers for you when you restart the computer. I decided on the uninstall because I was trying to see if this would get Windows to recognize my optical drives as SATA (which I believe them to be) as opposed to SCSI which is what they are being reported as now. It didn't but I figured it was worth a shot.

I hope some of the above will be of use and look forward to hearing the results either way. Good luck.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: GEAR, iTunes, and no drives in Vista Reply with quote

Found out the file causing my problem. ASF.sys is an audio sound file by Oak technologies. They were bought out by Zoran years ago. I had ignored it previously thinking it was needed for my audio on my computer. Changed the name to ASF1.sys and now drives are present with GEAR in upperfilters and iTunes can burn. Hope this helps all those people with problems. I used verifier in Vista to locate all drivers that Vista does not recognize. This resulted in two and ASF.sys was the file preventing cdrom.sys from loading when GEAR is in upperfilter.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: pxhelp20 Reply with quote

I also have this file in lowerfilters and it is running fine with everything. In fact verifier recognized it as a verified driver. I have it activated and asf.sys was the problem. PxHelp20.sys comes with another burning application 10 and it has been working OK as lond as the drives are recognized in Vista.
williamkidd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, hobojoe. Did that fix solve your issue on both systems? Also, were those computers updated from XP to Vista? Just wondering because I couldn't find asf.sys on my system.

Did you happen to notice if you are seeing the thirty minute lag that I am seeing with gearaspiwdm? Apparently it doesn't cause a problem with burning but it just seems strange to me when compared to pxhelp20 loading (and running) at boot.

Thanks for the info on pxhelp20. I reinstated all references to this file, including the lowerfilter in the registry, and am experiencing no problems. Version 9 of the program that you were referring to is the one that I have.

I did find in my case that my drive was bad and a replacement did the trick.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobojoe, thanks for the information.

I had a look at an other system info files sent to us by a users that were experiencing this problem, and they also had this driver installed and running.

None of our test systems have this driver, so it is possible that this is the culprit.

I will pass the info on to iTunes support so that they can check with users that contact them about this issue.
hobojoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Lag Reply with quote

williamkid, is your lag on bootup? My daughter's machine took a very long time to boot. I just turned off all her Gadgets on bootup and that fixed it. Both of our machines came with Vista. The second machine I no longer have access to since it is my niece's and she is off to college in Canada. I'll have to wait until she is back in the area. There is a program in Vista called verifier that looks at all the drivers and can list the ones not known to Vista. Access is via the run option. I used it to find my problem. It might be useful for you also to see if another driver maybe the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: