FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Norton Ghost 9 will not write to my DVD Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoelM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Norton Ghost 9 will not write to my DVD Drive Reply with quote

I have just bought a new computer with Pentium 4 WinXP Pro and a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-16335 double layer drive. Following advice to another member I downloaded the latest Gear update files dated 16 Nov 2004 and installed them - but still Ghost refuses to write to my drive.

Is there a later version of Gear available, please - I assume that is the cause of my problem - am I correct?

NoelM
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the link below (or cut and paste it into your browser) to download the latest recorder configuration files available from GEAR Software:

ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/recorders/GEARwrks351

Then do a find and replace on your computer to update the old files. If, after updating your configuration files, you are unable to resolve your recorder issue, please contact Symantec directly.
NoelM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Gear does not recognise my DVD drive Reply with quote

Thank you Randy, I did as you suggest but still Ghost will not recognise that there is blank media in the drive.

Although my drive is dual layer I am using single layer DVD media - is that an issue?

Your help very much appreciated.

Noel
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel,

DL drives my not be supported with your version of Ghost. You may want to email the contacts at Symantec for more help.
petermarx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problems with Norton Ghost not writing correctly to DVD R/W disk. Sometimes it would say, "No disk in drive" when there was a disk in the drive. Sometimes it would write to first disk, and then prompt me to insert the next media, and then refuse to write to it. Here are the steps I took to resolve this problem.

1. Downloaded the latest driver files from Gear's Website and copied the 3 files into the Agent Folder which is a subfolder under the Norton Ghost folder in the Program Files directory.

2. Did a full erase (not a quick erase) of any DVD rewritable media I planned on writing to.

3. Did NOT use the "Back Up Drive" option which is available by right clicking on the Ghost system tray icon. If you use this, be sure to have the main Ghost console window running as well. There seems to be a bug in the "Drive Backup wizard" which does not show a critical window prompt which tells you to "insert the next disk" and so forth. Without this window appearing (which it doesn't when you only use the Backup drive wizard), you can wait ALL DAY AND EVENING for Norton to recognize the fact that a disk has been inserted and it will just sit there waiting for you to press OK on a window prompt that ISN'T EVEN THERE!

Also, someone on this forum eluded to the fact that Ghost has to close the drive itself. This is just unbelievable, but they are correct. If you do not follow the prompt precisely and let Ghost close the drive tray itself, it gets all confused.

Norton's knowledge base for Ghost has absolutely no information regarding these problems, and people may think there's something wrong with their DVD drive or with the DVD media. All they say is that your DVD drive has to be compatible. How much effort would it have been to direct the user check the GEAR config file to see if their drive was listed? I have a Sony 700A using Sony or Fuji DVD 4X R/W+ media, and although DVD media can get damaged, this wasn't the case at all. It was also listed as being compatible. In fairness I also have to say that Ghost 9.0 worked flawlessly in backing up to hard drive media and over networked drives, only with removable media was it a big PAIN IN THE ASS!

Also, there is no mention that Symantec is using GEAR drivers to make their backup software run with CD/DVD media, and I had to search all over creation to find this hidden link between Symantec Ghost and Gear. And while I'm at it, in the Symantec Knowledgebase they say to make sure that the DVD rewritable media has been formatted. FORMATTED? Has ANYBODY ever seen a program which purports to format a DVD disc? I use another burning application for disk mastering, and you can do a full erase or a quick erase, but no mention of formatting a DVD disk before using it (as we used to do with floppy media).

You know, if you not going to offer decent telephone or web support, at least you can provide correct information. Are the technical support folks at Symantec required to actually use the product before they support it? Does anybody even care anymore about the thousands for hours consumers waste in trying to get their software to work on their computers? And everyone wants to advise us to do backups and secure our files. Why does this have to be so difficult? A columnist in this month's PCWorld (who will and should remain, nameless) said he found the perfect solution in buying an external USB hard drive. Has he ever tried to do a restore from a USB drive when his hard drive has crashed? Does he even realize there aren't any reliable USB drivers for DOS? That he needs Windows installed first to restore his data? What's he going to run his restore software in if he isn't in Windows? Thin air? One of the reasons I'm stuck with Ghost is that it provides a recovery environment on the program disk which will boot your computer in case of a hard drive failure and the drives to run your CD/DVD are low-level loaded. Not so with USB drivers, but what does he care. He's not going to come over to your house when your hard drive crashes.

There, I've had my say. Thanks for listening! Now it's your turn to vent!
NoelM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that very helpful advice, Peter.

I followed your advice but found that despite today updating the Gear "GCDR*.CFG" files to the latest version my copy of Ghost 9 will still not write to my DVD burner! Just continues to say there is no media in the drive - demonstrably untrue!

But I agree that it does work perfectly in making an image file to another partition on a different HD. From there I was able to copy the image file to a DVD, so I suppose that is some progress.

Could not agree more with your comments about Symantec. Not only no telephone support, but the web site is set up so that it is difficult to find a way to email support. And when you do contact them the response is so stylised that you would think a machine had replied.

I have removed all other Symantec products from my computer due to similar failures of support. Pity - we once used to think highly of Symantec, but they have gone the way of other big computer companies!

Noel
chopstixs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that this is a 4 year old topic, however, I am having this same exact issue with norton ghost 14.

Is there any "new" solutiuon that I can try that has been developed in the last 4 years?
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest GEAR drivers are always available on the 'drivers' page:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.php

Also, we've posted an RSS feed with all of the information we know (since it's RSS, it's always current) regarding using the GEAR 'drivers' with 'GEAR Powered Products'

GEAR Drivers Feed:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/rss/GEAR-drivers-feed.php

Note: To read a GEAR Software RSS feed, you will need an RSS News Reader application, like Google Reader, or an RSS-capable web browser, i.e. Internet Explorer 7 or higher, Firefox 3 or higher...
chopstixs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will check out the feed.

Regards,
Dustin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: