FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Gear Drivers does not install, Win7 64bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Gear Drivers does not install, Win7 64bit. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have some problems getting the Gear Drivers installed on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. The installation runs without error but afterwards there are no files or registry values added at all other than the installation key. Gear Drivers are listed in the program list and can be "uninstalled" again without error.

The reason that the system needs the drivers is that Norton 360 v4 was installed on the system and now gives the error 8701,2380 whenever a removable device or CD/DVD is inserted. The Symantec KB regarding this error advices to reinstall the Gear drivers or check for the asf.sys file (or incompatible programs). The asf.sys is not in the system.

What have been done so far.

Full manual cleanup and reinstall of Norton 360.
Full manual cleanup and reinstall of Gear Drivers (not much to clean since nothing gets installed).
Checked for the presence of ASF.sys.
Installed Gear Drivers in Safe mode with nw by enabling MSI (this should bypass UAC, Norton or most other third party programs).

None of the above steps helped to installed the Gear Drivers completely.
Gear drivers used was Driver_Installer_x86_x64.exe version 14.0.0.162 (4.015.1).

Next I will remove both Norton and the Gear Drivers before installing the N360v5 Beta since the Beta will create a log specific for the Gear drivers that v4 does not and with a little luck it will give some more info. Hopefully this will happen later today but I do not have full access to the system since it is not mine.

Any suggestions on what to try or check for other than this?

Regards
jAW
jAW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I just tried the Norton 360v5 Beta and the errors using removable devices and such are gone. The Gear drivers are still missing though and the logs states an error that is quite generic (package failed to install).

The reason why the error is not happening now is most likely because Norton 360v5 uses Windows API functions to list backup locations instead of WMI that is used in v4.

This means that errors are likely to occur sooner or later (perhaps later since this system takes a backup to an external driver rather than to CD/DVD) and the problem with installing the drivers remains.

This is the GearInst.log from Norton.

Code:
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  Log file has been created
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  INF path registry store has been created: SOFTWARE\GEAR Software\DIFx\{7BE4D7A3-591B-4aff-89E1-2B0DE81D2113}.
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  The INSTALL function has been called.
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  The INSTALL function has started.
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  Enter SetDriverFileAttribs()
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  0  Leave SetDriverFileAttribs()
12/09/10  15:49:09  ERROR        10  Driver package failed to install
12/09/10  15:49:09  INFORMATION  10  The INSTALL function has completed.

Regards
jAW
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you receive any UAC (User Account Control) dialogs when installing N360?

Installing the GEAR 'drivers' requires escalated user privileges, and if you're not using an Administrator account, you should be prompted to continue.
jAW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I actually cannot remember the dialogs we got, but the account was administrator. And N360 cannot be installed unless the account is admin and I know that it did not ask for admin login as it usually does when running it on a standard user. We also tried the installation with UAC turned off since this can bypass some permission blocks. We also activated the MSI in safemode and ran the installation there. The installation file was also started using the "run as administrator.." option with the same result.

I do think that this can be due to permission issues but I found nothing wrong with the permissions on %programfiles% and the services registry key. But in that case I guess it should impact other programs as well and there has been no other problems so far.

Regards
jAW
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the properties of the C:\ProgramData dir. Look at the Security tab. Is Users listed in the Group or user names section?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: