FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Multisession

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midefra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Multisession Reply with quote

I am new to Gear DVD and much interested in it. There is a couple of problems on which I would like to have some help:

1. Appending files to a DVD-Rom in which there is yet some free space. When trying to append, a screen comes out asking if the old track or sessions should be incorporated o renamed (?). Whatever I do, when I try to add new files I am told that there is no free space (and there is a lot). I cancel the old files included in the project, but the answer is the same. What am I doing wrong? And can files be appended to DVD-R and +R?

2. I understand that GEAR does not allow formatting DVD-RW (I can format them with Iomega HotBurn for drag and drop) but DVD+RW can be formatted. I tried to copy directly in Explorer from the HD to a formatted DVD+RW. I am told that this is not possible (I can do that with HotBurn). Am I doing something wrong here or it is just not possible to copy (or delete) files in this way from the DVD?

Many thanks for any assistance or indication of a place where I could find answers to the above

Miguel
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midefra,

Make sure that multisession is turned on when you do the initial burn otherwise you will not be able to append to the disc.

We do not support DLA (Drive Letter Access) through Explorer. You can drag and drop from within our program with a project open.
midefra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Multisession Reply with quote

Many thanks for your quick reply. On the first point, I discovered that the problem was due to a project with the same name that the disc existing in the projects' list. As soon as I cancelled that project, anything went properly.

I found however problems when trying to append to +R and -R DVDs previously written with HotBurn. In one occassion everything went OK, but in two others a failure was reported, apparently because the driver was requesting something. The result was that the last part of those discs remained full but unreadable. Could this depend on the writing mode (disc or track)? But under settings for DVD, I am not offered the possibility to change from disc to another option (I can do it for CD-Rom).

Another question: how do you erase a file from a formatted +RWDVD?

I like your product, that I find very stable, but I need to explore it and get acquainted with all its possibilities. Obviously, there is a series of incompatibilities with the software (HotBurn) I presently use, so I'll have to decide for one or the other.

Many thanks again, Randy T.

Miguel
Love2Burn
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Append Mode Reply with quote

Hi,

i have the same problem. Burning with Gear on a another burning application Multisession - CD will cause errors.

Sincerly
Stefan
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midefra,

It is actually best to burn a disc from GEAR first with multisession turned on. After that, you would then be able to append to that disc. Trying to append to a multisession disc from another software may cause problems depending on how the are writing to the disc.

You cannot erase a file from a DVD+RW. DVD+RW disc are made to be overwritten everytime. So everytime you write to the disc, it will write over itself.

If your settings are greyed out, go to the Support page and then driver updates. Download and install the latest GEAR driver set.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm

Next, go to the Support page and Updates. Download the latest configuration files for your software. You should be able to right click on the file and choose save as. Point it to where you have GEAR installed at. It will override the original files that are there.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/updates/index.cfm
midefra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Randy.

I have downloaded the drivers. As for the configuration updates, however, when I give the requeted data I get an error:

Attribute validation error for tag cfoutput

I tried three times, with Windows and Gear Pro DVD and Gear Professional and got always the same result.
Love2Burn
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Multisession Reply with quote

Hello,

everything is okay now. When i start a Multisession CD/DVD with Gear it works excellent! Think Gear Multisession is a little bit different to other burning programs.

Stefan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: