FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Ghost 9 - cannot see DVD writer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zagor21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Ghost 9 - cannot see DVD writer Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a DVD Writer (True NEC ND 2510A; no hacked fw) that I can see form another burning application, Alcohol 120%, InstantCopy ... but Ghost 9 ( and also DriveImage 7). The CD/DVD option does not appear in the "backup unit" path.

Is for sure some software knot you may be aware of. DriveImage 7 was working with the same drive (no double layer DVD) in July !

Thanks in advance

Adriano
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the link below (or cut and paste it into your browser) to download the latest recorder configuration files available from GEAR Software:

ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/recorders/GEARwrks351

Then do a find and replace on your computer to update the old files. If, after updating your configuration files, you are unable to resolve your recorder issue, please contact Symantec directly.
zagor21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Fixed ! Reply with quote

Thanks Randy, a lot. I replaced all 3 .cfg files and now the DVD drive is back again.

Adriano.
zagor21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: sees the drive but fails changing disk Reply with quote

I come here again because I want to tell you than after installing the new .cfg files Ghost finally finds the DVD Writer but I'm not able to go beyond the first DvD / CD . I'm using DVD+RW brand new and CD-RW disks deeply erased.

It seems to happen when a new disk is needed.
Instead of a change disk message
I get an error (EA390007) and every retry fail. I have to abort the operation.

Here is the Ghost event log (in italian)

------------------
Descrizione: Errore durante la creazione di un backup dell'unit? E:\. Errore EA390007: Operazione annullata dall'utente
Dettagli: 0xEA390007
Origine: Norton Ghost 9.0
---------------------

Thank you in advance for your support.
Adriano
sergio_fucchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I have many problems with new version of Ghost 9.0. With the past version I have not any problems to write, verify and restore images, but with this that uses Gear routines to manage CD/DVD I can't perform a reliable image backup into a CD or DVD. Evil or Very Mad

I have contact Mary brunger from Symantec from about a month and I have send her many information of my system and the errors (screenshots and log files). She has told me to have a bit of patient because she is in contact with Gear to resolve my (and, I am sure, many others problems) about Ghost 9.0. Cool

Sergio.
ematt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are several having the same problem, Adriano : see the other topic "symantec sent me here !" in that same forum

Let us hope, as Sergio, that Symantec will soon send us the required patch through LiveUpdate. Confused

Eric
petermarx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I had the same problem!!!!! See the post by author "petermarx".

I finally got my Ghost to write more than one DVD R/W media!!!
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zagor21,

When you insert the second disc, please be sure to wait until the activity light on the recorder stops before pressing the OK button to continue. When a disc is first inserted, the recorder is getting information from the inserted media. If Ghost tries to continue with the recording process while the drive is still reading the media, an error will occur. Please reply if this is not the case.
pooce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Ghost 9 & (in my case) Virtual CD/DVD 7 Incompatibility. Reply with quote

Yes - in MY case the incompatibility is between Ghost 9 & Virtual CD/DVD 7 - the SAME thing as complained about here by you guys.

FIRST - you can't get past the first CD/DVD??? Don't use the wizard - use "advanced" in Ghost 9 & back-up through there, THEN it'll work. Hopefully Norton will FIX that.

I replaced the 3 files you suggested & had no luck - it's been a long saga with me.....here follows the saga so far...............

Hi Gear...

I've been lliasing between Symantec & VCD on this problem for a while now & am no further ahead with it.
Do you guys have a suggestion here?? It seems that the incompatibility lies with Gear's installed (Norton integral) drivers.
What can Gear tell me about this please??
The following is the kernel of discussions & gives you the nub of my problem.

FROM SYMANTEC....................

Greetings 'my name',

Thanks for the detailed information. This information is really helpful for us. At this time, there were few other reported cases in this regard. Also,
Symantec was aware of this issue and there was no appropriate solutions. So, your information is helpful for us in identifying the root cause for this issue.
Your message has been forwarded to the appropriate people for further necessary action and information. We would keep this in mind for our future releases and updates for Norton Ghost.
At this time, Norton Ghost 9 is not compatible with Virtual CD. This is also evident from your research and workarounds. Norton Ghost 9 is an upgraded version of Drive Image. So, the root cause for this issue is conflicts.
Ghost uses GearSoftware to write to CD and DVD drives. I request you to contact the GEAR software directly about this Virtual CD and then get information.
For more information, please refer to the below document:
Title: 'Troubleshooting CD/DVD burning problems'
Document ID: 2004065186541562
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004065186541562?Open&src=con_ols_nam

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
Regards,
Anand
Escalation Engineer
Symantec Authorized Technical Support

FROM VIRTUAL CD.............

Question - "Norton Ghost 9.0 & VCD 7.0 appear incompatible"...

Hi guys - I couldn't get Norton Ghost 9.0 to recognise my DVDRW drive (I wanted to start backing up to DVDRW).
After much mucking around I found that if I removed VCD7 the problem disappeared & Ghost recognised the DVDRW drive & the backup ran fine. Have you guys had anything like this please?? I didn't find any mention on Support Forum or Knowledge Base. Thanx. 'my name'.

Answer - Norton Ghost 9.0
Dear Mr. 'my name',

Please excuse my late answer, it took some time to reproduce this problem.
Norton Ghost 9.0 uses the burning program Drive Image. Drive Image has a problem with the total amount of CD-ROM drives (see KB article below). It doesn't

belong if this are physical or virtual CD-ROM drives.
Please be aware that such problems are NOT due to Virtual CD but to the other software (resp. its filter drivers).
Kind regards
Link Knowledgebase:
Virtual CD and Powerquest Drive Image
Martin Oevermann (H+H) 13.04.05

I HOPE that's not too long-winded, but it does have some pertinent stuff there.
Is GEAR any closer to sorting this incompatibility thing out please???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: