FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

DVD Device Status 10 with Gear driver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> DVD & CD Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvisos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: DVD Device Status 10 with Gear driver Reply with quote

System is a new HP Pavilion 6314f with a burner of HL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH10L with the latest firmware of FC09. It worked with cyberlink dvd suite burning cd and dvds.

Had problems after loading itunes where the system did not see the burner. Status code of 10. I completeley removed all Apple software from the system. Manually removed Gear driver. Even uninstalled cyberlink dvd suite. Installed the latest driver from Gear only - nothing else. Still getting status 10 on the device as long as GEARAspiWDM is listed as the upperfilter. When I remove it it is recognized just fine. What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Scott
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Do you have any other 'filter drivers' installed on your PC?

Often virtual drive software, i.e. Daemon Tools, Alcohol 52%/120% also install filter drivers that are known to cause issues with GEAR's driver.

Duplex Secure (who provides the SPTD driver used in Daemon Tools) has provided a patch for this issue...

Read more here:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=SPTD_Drivers

I do not know if that is the cause of your issue, but it is a very common.

The GEAR drivers have been signed by Microsoft, so there must be some other issue here preventing GEARAspiWDM.sys from loading.

belvisos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the SPTD driver on this system. The DVD Burner doesn't have any other filters. The disk does have partmgr as an upperfilter.

When gearaspiwdm is set on the DVD Burner this event occurs:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 4/17/2008 11:59:36 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Duffy-PC
Description:
Fault bucket 177627735, type 5
Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Response: None
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x86
P2: IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH10L__________________FC09____
P3: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
P4: 0000000A
P5: cdrom.sys
P6: 6.0.6000.16386
P7: 11-02-2006
P8:
P9:
P10:

Then I set the gearaspiwdm service to start automatically to make sure it was ok and it started. I used 'sc query gearaspiwdm' command to show it. But the DVD burner still showed as 'status 10'.

C:\Users\Sandy>sc query gearaspiwdm

SERVICE_NAME: gearaspiwdm
TYPE : 1 KERNEL_DRIVER
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Users\Sandy>

Thanks again for your help!!!!
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that there is a conflict between the GEARAspi drivers and an other CD/DVD recording driver or that Vista is blocking the driver from functioning correctly for some reason.

Do you have any other software installed that has CD/DVD recording capabilities, or CD/DVD drive emulator software (aka CD/DVD virtual drive)?

We are currently testing a new driver installation routine which meets the driver installation requirements imposed by Vista's Service Pack 1.

However, I do not know if this will resolve the issue you are having.

If interested in trying out a copy of this new driver installer, please send an email to support@gearsoftware.com and indicate you want to beta test the new driver installer.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have not been able to reproduce this issue on any of our systems running Vista, nor has Apple or Symantec.

However we have received a couple of reports from users who updated to iTunes version 7.7.0.43 which resolved the issue.

You may want to try the following:
    - Ensure the GEARAspi driver set is installed on your system and that GEARAspiWDM is the first entry in UpperFilters in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    - Download and run the driver installer that is on our site (http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm)
    - Reboot the system
    - If the CD/DVD drives are still missing in Explorer update iTunes to version 7.7.0.43 or newer and reboot.
If after this you still do not see any CD/DVD drives in Explorer, please generate a System Information file and email it to support@gearsoftware.com.

You can generate a System Information file by clicking Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type msinfo32.exe and click OK. In the System Information dialog select Save in the File menu.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After analyzing the system information files sent to us by affected iTunes users, it appears that there may be an incompatibility with the \windows\system32\drivers\afs.sys driver.

Disabling this driver may solve the problem.

However since we have not been able to get a copy of this driver for testing, we are unable to verify that this driver is indeed causing a conflict.

If you are experiencing this problem and have this driver installed on your system, please zip up the file and send a copy to support@gearsoftware.com. In addition a system information file for your system would be helpful.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the following Knowledge Base articles:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=CD/DVD_drives_disappear_after_installing_iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2308

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact support for further troubleshooting instructions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> DVD & CD Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: