FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

iTunes - Vista Home Premium - No CDRW/DVD Drive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
williamkidd



Joined: 19 Aug 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, hobojoe. I would have posted sooner but didn't receive the e-mail notification that the thread had been updated (I did check my forum settings and spam folder and everything was fine).

I think that I may have confused you about what is happening with my system. The system is booting fine and iTunes is working correctly as well. The one thing that doesn't look like it is working correctly (or at least in terms of reporting) is the gearaspiwdm.sys driver. When I check the drivers using msinfo32.exe after starting the system the Gear driver does not show as running. It takes the system around 30 minutes to change it's status to running. On the other hand pxhelp20 shows as running immediately after the system is started. The only difference (in msinfo) between the two drivers that I can see is that pxhelp20 has a boot start while the Gear driver has a manual start. So in terms of performance I'm in good shape but just confused about why the Gear driver is taking so long to report as running.

I am surprised that you had the asf.sys file on your system since it was not an upgrade. You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that the issue seemed to show up after installing Printshop. I'm wondering if that install placed the asf file on your system but didn't remove it when you uninstalled. I say that because I checked both my Vista and XP systems and could find neither asf.sys nor the other file mentioned by Gear that seem to be causing the drives to disappear due to conflicts.

I did run the Vista Verifier and everything looked good. A strange thing happened the first time I ran it though. I must have had something open and the sound on my system went haywire (screeching). I did a system restore and ran it again with nothing running and all was well. Pxhelp20 does show up a little strange now in Verifier but that is probably because I changed the extensions originally and then reinstated them later.

One thing that you (and the Gear mods if they haven't seen it already) may find interesting is this ZDNet article about iTunes 8 http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=536 It mentions the Gear driver but then links to a Gear forum thread from May 2008. It's funny that there is no mention of possible driver conflicts (and resolutions) or the Gear notice that is posted in red on the main forum page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were able to confirm that the presence of the AFS driver on Vista can cause problems. This driver pre-dates Vista by a few years and does not meet Vista driver signing requirements.

Please see the following Knowledge Base articles for details:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=CD/DVD_drives_disappear_after_installing_iTunes

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2308

Regarding Ed Bott's post on ZDNet (http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=536), he posted a correction on Sept. 17th after it became apparent that an updated USB driver was the cause of the crashes and not the GEARAspiWDM driver.

See http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=546 for the full text.

As for the slow start issue, I am afraid I do not yet have an answer.

Please contact support at support@gearsoftware.com for troubleshooting steps. A system info file may be of use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
technogran



Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Fixed at LAST! Reply with quote

Thanks to the moderators and posters of this forum I have AT LAST got my iTUnes and CD/DVD drive working together in iTunes
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I have had my laptop for about 18 months now, and have been trying to get iTunes working on it. I have read dozens of forums, tried numeroous 'fixes' and nothing worked. I eventually bought a second basic laptop from Dell running Windows XP, on which I had no problems with iTunes. However, I still wanted to get it fixed on my HP laptop with the larger sceen and faster processor.
Thanks to all the detective work carried out on this forum I have at last solved it.
For me it was the AFS.SYS file that was causing the problem. I followed the advice to rename it to AFS.TXT, but unfortunately that didn't seem to do the trick, as I still had no CD drive showing in My Computer. Then I checked in the systems drivers again and saw that the file had been reinstated as AFS.SYS. I changed it this time to AFS1.SYS, and that DID IT! Very Happy
Maybe I slipped up in the first renaming effort, and perhaps didn't do it properly, I don't know, but anyway, NOW it is working. I am so pleased and I am sure hundreds of other people will be when the find the answer to their problem.
Thanks again from this ole granny who is happy to be able to now synchronize her new iPod Touch with her laptop.
Cheers Joan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Problem Just Showed Up Reply with quote

This problem just reared its ugly head and bit me. Vista 32 bit, not sure what got installed about the time the failure started, but I have the problem now. I do not have an ASP.SYS file, so I can't clear it out. Is there a way I can get the GEARaspiWDM to load up, then check a log file somewhere to find either an error code or find out what it's dependent on that is not letting me start up? I'm willing to do the research, but don't know what I need to do. Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
technogran



Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Just Showed Up Reply with quote

[quote="
I do not have an ASP.SYS file, so I can't clear it out. Is there a way I can get the GEARaspiWDM to load up, then check a log file somewhere to find either an error code or find out what it's dependent on that is not letting me start up? I'm willing to do the research, but don't know what I need to do. Thanks.[/quote]

Hi, it is not an ASP.SYS file that I had but an ASF.SYS file, and mine got there, I believe from a previous installation of a version of PrintShop, and was left over when the program was uninstalled. If you haven't looked for an ASF file, try that.
Cheers Joan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry - I mystyped. I did look for an ASF.SYS file, but it's not present. Just wrote it wrong here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All known driver issues can be found on the RSS drivers feed:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/rss/GEAR-drivers-feed.php

So you may want to see if any of those apply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the latest drivers, and now I am able to get myself wehre many people are: I can read CDs, but cannot write them. I accept that this is most likely not a Gear Software code issue, but instead an imcompatibility with some other module from some other product - been there, done that! However, I don't have any clues which module is causing the problem. Back in the day, we wrote code to figure out and display everything that was loaded up that we were talking to. Has someone written a small test app that would go through the attempt to write to a CD and then show what's loaded so that folks can then make their hunting trip easier to find the culprit? Seems this would help a lot of people out in this driver / dll ghost chase, because right now everything about my installation looks exactly like Gear wants it to look, but I can't write to a CD ultimately because iTunes selected Gear for this functionality. I know it puts Gear in a bad light, but it seems someone in engineering could whip together something that would help folks resolve this quickly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GEARAspi driver set used by the GEARworks API (used by apps such as iTunes, Ghost and N360) is a filter driver, and has been WHQL certified and signed by Microsoft's for Windows 2000 and later.

Other (non-WHQL certified) filter drivers, such as AFS.sys, can interfere with the correct functioning of the GEARAspi filter driver by incorrectly modifying the information on the driver stack.

All known conflicts and issues with the GEARAspi driver set are listed in this RSS feed: http://www.gearsoftware.com/rss/GEAR-drivers-feed.php

Note that installing the 32bit drivers on a 64 bit system (e.g. by running the 32bit iTunes installer) will result in a broken driver installation, which will require manual removal of the drivers (via this procedure http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Remove_drivers#Removing_GEAR_Drivers) and reinstalling by running the 64bit driver installer from our website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans wrote:
The GEARAspi driver set used by the GEARworks API (used by apps such as iTunes, Ghost and N360) is a filter driver, and has been WHQL certified and signed by Microsoft's for Windows 2000 and later.

Other (non-WHQL certified) filter drivers, such as AFS.sys, can interfere with the correct functioning of the GEARAspi filter driver by incorrectly modifying the information on the driver stack.

All known conflicts and issues with the GEARAspi driver set are listed in this RSS feed: http://www.gearsoftware.com/rss/GEAR-drivers-feed.php

Note that installing the 32bit drivers on a 64 bit system (e.g. by running the 32bit iTunes installer) will result in a broken driver installation, which will require manual removal of the drivers (via this procedure http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Remove_drivers#Removing_GEAR_Drivers) and reinstalling by running the 64bit driver installer from our website.


As said elsewhere in this thread, I've done everything Gear has suggested. I only have a 32 bit system, so that's not it. I have no AFS.sys on my machine, nor do I have anything else mentioned in the RSS posts. I've loaded the most recent versions of the Gear drivers. I've even acknowledged that I don't think the problem is with the Gear stuff. Problem is - and many of us have been here before - the problem is with an incompatibility with something else on the system. My point is that Gear actually can expose what it is downstream that is causing the problem. Failure to do so only makes for more support work.

This was a constant battle back in the first days of the Ctrl 3D wars. There were so many bugs in ctrl3d.dll that folks would put out their own version with the fixes in them, but that fix would break someone else's software that had coded around something. Our tech support folks eventually put a version of our app together that showed everything that was loaded up when we ran. Eventually, the problem became so troublesome for everyone that we actualy put the information in the About box on the app. Was it our fault? No. Was it someone else's fault? Not really - it was necessary functionality, but the implementation was very buggy and constantly changing. Our goal was to avoid getting a bad name because someone else's work was hosing us downstream.

I'm asking you to do the same thing. Whose fault is it? No idea, for sure. Itunes for picking you to provide functionality to them that doesn't work? Well, seems that way, doesn't it? Gear's for not covering all bases? Well, seems that way, doesn't it? Or someone else downstream who is hosing you? Well, it probably should seem that way, but Gear can't say who this mythical app is. The ones you've listed aren't on my machine. The drivers you've mentioned aren't on my system. All "known" issues are addressed on my system, and your software still doesn't work. So, my suggestion is that you take the information available to you and make it easy for someone to A) help out your tech support by finding yet another incompatibility out there that is currently unknown and make it more widely known, and B) help out the customer base by allowing them to get rid of something they probably don't even use in order to rid themselves of a bad driver - signed, unsigned, who cares - in order to get functionality back that worked just fine until iTunes shifted over to using Gear.

You have unit tests in your lab - I'm assuming you do QA, and do it well - that actually can aggravate this problem and identify it. Someone should take the small amount of time it takes to bundle this up, make it work, and make it available. If you don't have such a beast, you need one, and should close that gap. It would make support's work a lot easier. The cheapest forum thread to reply to is the one that doesn't exist.

Short of that, folks should turn their attention to Apple to get them to pick a replacement for Gear that either doesn't exhibit this behavior, or who is more aggressive about eliminating problems like this. I've done everything your site has asked, and it doesn't resolve the problem. That starts looking like it's still your software's fault, whether or not you see it as the problem. My only request at this point is to give us something that accurately and effectively points the finger at someone else. Right now, this just looks like some strange form of The Three Billy Goats Gruff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that another filter driver is probably doing something to the driver stack which causes problems downstream from it.

However, trying to determine which filter driver it is, is not easy, especially since a different version of the offending driver may not cause the problem.

A couple of things you can try and do to determine if another filter driver is causing the problem is to see what filter drivers are accessing the CD/DVD device stack and seeing which of these are digitally signed.

To do this you will have to run the registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Make a note of the UpperFilter and LowerFilter entries and in which order they appear.

Now go to the DVD/CD-ROM Drives in the Device Manager. Select properties for one of your CD/DVD drives and go to the Driver tab. Select Driver Details and find the drivers corresponding to the Upper and LowerFilter entries.

The driver should have Microsoft as the digital signer. If it is not, then the driver is probably not WHQL certified and may be the cause of the problem.

Once you have determined which driver may be the cause of the problem, you can try disabling it. One way to do this is to delete it's Upper or LowerFilters entry and rebooting. Renaming the driver file and rebooting sometimes also works.

If this resolves the problem, then you have found the culprit. You can see if there is a newer version of the driver available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans wrote:
The problem is that another filter driver is probably doing something to the driver stack which causes problems downstream from it.

However, trying to determine which filter driver it is, is not easy, especially since a different version of the offending driver may not cause the problem.

A couple of things you can try and do to determine if another filter driver is causing the problem is to see what filter drivers are accessing the CD/DVD device stack and seeing which of these are digitally signed.

To do this you will have to run the registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Make a note of the UpperFilter and LowerFilter entries and in which order they appear.

Now go to the DVD/CD-ROM Drives in the Device Manager. Select properties for one of your CD/DVD drives and go to the Driver tab. Select Driver Details and find the drivers corresponding to the Upper and LowerFilter entries.

The driver should have Microsoft as the digital signer. If it is not, then the driver is probably not WHQL certified and may be the cause of the problem.

Once you have determined which driver may be the cause of the problem, you can try disabling it. One way to do this is to delete it's Upper or LowerFilters entry and rebooting. Renaming the driver file and rebooting sometimes also works.

If this resolves the problem, then you have found the culprit. You can see if there is a newer version of the driver available.


You are the only one there. You have always been the only one there. You are there in the UpperFilters entry, and there is no LowerFilters entry. While you have always been the only entry there (since I started having this problem through iTunes), I removed all the entries, uninstalled iTunes, installed your most recent version, and re-installed iTunes.

The only two drivers for the DVD-ROM drive are yourself and Microsoft's cdrom.sys. Both are digitally signed. If the source of the problem would be the driver in the upper or lower filters entry, then it appears to be you.

Like I said before, I've tried everything you suggested everywhere else, and it all continues to point back to you and only you. I am very willing to believe it is somewhere else, but without Gear coming up with something that properly identifies the actual culprit, it remains that all of Gear's suggestions how to find the problem driver all lead back to Gear.

I wish the information pointed somewhere else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that the most likely culprit is something that you installed at one point which is causing a conflict, since we have tested the driver extensively on Vista systems (clean and with various other recording SW installed) and aside from the issues mentioned in the RSS feed, not encountered problems.

If you send a system information file and registry file (with iTunes and GEARAspi drivers installed) to support I can have a look at it to see if anything is in there which might point to a conflict.

Note that it will take quite a while to analyze both files.

Generate the files as follows:
In Start | Run enter msinfo32.exe
Select File | Save and save as a System Information File (*.NFO)

In Start | Run enter regedit.exe
Select File | Export and select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as the Selected Branch in Export Range.
Save as a Registration Files (*.REG)

Since both files will be pretty large, zip or rar them before sending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jjames



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frans wrote:
I still believe that the most likely culprit is something that you installed at one point which is causing a conflict, since we have tested the driver extensively on Vista systems (clean and with various other recording SW installed) and aside from the issues mentioned in the RSS feed, not encountered problems.

If you send a system information file and registry file (with iTunes and GEARAspi drivers installed) to support I can have a look at it to see if anything is in there which might point to a conflict.

Note that it will take quite a while to analyze both files.

Generate the files as follows:
In Start | Run enter msinfo32.exe
Select File | Save and save as a System Information File (*.NFO)

In Start | Run enter regedit.exe
Select File | Export and select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as the Selected Branch in Export Range.
Save as a Registration Files (*.REG)

Since both files will be pretty large, zip or rar them before sending.


I'm very willing to believe the very same thing. I understand the complexity, and have been through it myself. I'm happy to get to the end of this and let you have one more incompatibility out there for you to list or work around. But it's hard for even the more educated customer base to work this out themselves.

Please drop me a message as to where you want the ZIP file sent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frans
Site Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 127
Location: Jupiter, FL, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email the files to support@gearsoftware.com and reference this forum thread in the message.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Copyright © 2010 GEAR Software, Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy policy.