FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

DDP to DL DVD Question / Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Mastering Edition Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: DDP to DL DVD Question / Issue Reply with quote

There are a few threads already on this but no responses that were close to what I needed. Here is the situation.

I have authored a DVD in Encore, exported it to a video TS folder. I can import that into a gear project and select Burn to a DVD. That burns correctly. Now after reviewing the DVD and verifying that all looks good, I want to get it to a DDP format to send off for replication. I can export it to DDP format in gear and I get my two layer folders.

To safty proof as best as possible, I want to try and make sure that DDP file will in turn make a correct DVD without issue from the replication house. I noticed Gear has the option to do DDP to DVD. Here is my question.

First - Does the DDP to DVD make a watchable DVD in consumer players from the DDP files I made thus proving the DDP files are good to send out for replication? If not, what exactly does the DDP to DVD feature do? Does it backup the folders strictly to the DVD like a data file?

I try and select DDP to DVD. In the first box I have the path to the layer 1 folder. The second box I have the path to the layer 2 folder. I click Copy and it spits out the DVD tray saying insert media. I insert a good Verbatim DVD+R DL and click ok. It reads the disk for a second and spits it back out and says The DVD could not be recorded. I am stumped. It burns video TS folders to a watchable DVD fine.

I just want a way to take the DDP files gear built and reverse them back into a watchable DVD to verify the DDP files are corrrect.

Hope that makes sense! I tried it on 3 different machines with the same result. I also tried Memorex DL +R Media with no luck.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:

It reads the disk for a second and spits it back out and says The DVD could not be recorded. I am stumped. It burns video TS folders to a watchable DVD fine. [emphasis added]

Does GEAR record the DDP to DVD+R DL, or not?

The purpose of that function is indeed to record the DDP image to CD/DVD media, as if it were replicated...but of course if the DDP was a DVD-Video title flagged for CSS encryption, the 'burned' copy would not be encrypted.
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Thanks for the response.

Once I make a dvd video project in gear, and select burn project to DVD+R DL it will indeed burn the video TS folders and the DVD plays fine in a normal player. So I have to assume Gear likes the Samsung Drive and the drivers work fine on it.

So when I export to a gear project to DDP . Gear makes the layer folders for layer 0 and layer 1 saved to the hard drive

I then use the convert dpp image to cd/dvd disk function. and on the two lines where you tell gear where the layer 0 and layer 1 folders are at I browse to them using layer 0 on the first line and the second layer on the second line as the tutorial shows.

Once I click copy it ejects the cd tray, says insert a disk, I insert a dvd+R DL and click ok. It sucks the disk back in, starts to read it for a second, and spits the disk back out and says it could not be recorded.

The original video TS folders and dvd project do NOT have CSS encryption on them.

It just refuses to burn when selecting ddp to cd/dvd.

Any ideas much appreciated. We have a project due shortly and I would love to be able to say "our ddp image burns to a DVD fine and works as intended" and then I can trust sending off the ddp folders top a replication house.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the layer-break value for this title?

Check the size of IMAGE.DAT in SideALayer0 in bytes and divide it by the sector size (in not encrypted it should be 2048) to obtain the size of layer0

Is there an error message or error code at all?
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: DDP Reply with quote

When right clicking the image.dat in windows and doing a properties it shows (5,837,717,504) bytes. Divided by 2048 like you said I get 2,850,448.

No error code per sey. just kicks it out saying it couldn't be written. I will get a screen cap and post a link to it shortly. Thanks !
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: cap of error Reply with quote

I have uploaded and FLV video for you to view what it's doing if that helps.

I have selected folder side layer zero and side layer 1 as stated in the tutorial. I insert a blank dvd+r DL into the drive and I click copy.

It will edject the disk asking me to put a disk in the drive. I do, shut the door, I think i Prematurly hit ok. I get the drive open error on the video but once i click through ok on that you can see the status on the left says found readable 12cm disc, then I get the error.

Hopefully you can view the flv and see what I am getting. Sorry for the 22 meg file size. I just wanted you to be able to read the text clearly.

Link to flv
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the size of IMAGE.DAT in SideALayer0 is 5,837,717,504....that's way too big for a DVD9 layer.

5,837,717,504 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024 = 5.436 GB
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No!
Encore Layer Breaks.
Aargh.
What version of Encore are you using please, as from experience this can be a right PITA to get happening.
It seems that the Automatic setting often does not work well, and it is very hit & miss as to wether or not the manual dialogue will work.

Best way here is to leave the Layer Break setting in Encore well alone.
Grab yourself a copy of the wonderful PGCEdit. It's donationware, and well worth $10 of anyone's money.
Open the compiled Video_TS folder in this, and see where Encore has put your layer break - and edit it. All you have to do is double click on the main VTS title, and up will come a list of all the chapter points in the title and a helpful bit of colour coding for legal Layer Break placements.
Set to the chosen place, preview it in the application, and save the DVD.
Next job is to create your project in GEAR, and it will honour the break point you just set and should even adjust the offset to make it a correct multiple of 16 too.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very helpful post.. thanks for sharing..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Mastering Edition Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: