FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Win 7 64-bit Problem Reading DVD Using SATA-USB Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainframer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Win 7 64-bit Problem Reading DVD Using SATA-USB Bridge Reply with quote

I'm using a Sabrent EC-BSAT enclosure, basically a SATA-USB bridge, with a Panasonic UJ862A Slimline DVD (for a Lenovo T400).

I'm experiencing an unusual problem: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit can read only part of the file system on a DVD. For instance, a sub-directory in the root directory can be seen by the Windows Explorer, but the files in that folder are not visible. With the same DVD drive plugged into my pc's swappable internal bay, I can see the files in the sub-directory.

This problem has another symptom: if you eject the DVD and insert another DVD, the Windows Explorer is not refreshed with the new volume name and the file structure is not updated either. Clicking on View, Refresh does not display the new volume name or the file information for the newly inserted DVD. The only way to get a new DVD recognized is to disconnect and reconnect the drive from its USB port.

I have discovered that if I prevent GEARAspiWDM.sys from loading in my Windows 7 64-bit pc, I get the expected behavior from the Windows Explorer. I can see all of the files on the DVD and sub-directories in the root and below.

I'm running Norton Ghost 15 and I suspect that the Gear drivers were bundled with that product. In any event, I tried updating the Gear drivers, but that did not eliminate the problem.

Notably, this problem does not occur under Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), also with Ghost 15 installed. I used the same DVD in my test with XP as I did in Win 7 (64-bit).

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since using the same setup on x86 XP as on x64 Win7 does not give problems, the issue is very likely not caused by the GEARAspi driver set, since other than being compiled for different platforms, they are identical.

Do you boot with the drive attached to the system, or are you connecting it after the system has booted?

Since Explorer is not getting refreshed, it sounds like Ghost maybe attempting to get an exclusive lock on the drive and/or continually accessing the drive.

Have you tried disabling Ghost?
Mainframer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the Ghost service and preventing VproTray from launching at start-up does not change the behavior.

It doesn't matter whether the DVD player is plugged in at start-up or is plugged in after the boot completes, the problem persists unless the DVD upper and lower filters values are deleted from the registry and GearAspiWDM in system32/drivers is renamed along with its counterpart in system32/drivstor.

I also tried disabling Norton Internet Security's antivirus auto-protect feature, but that didn't change anything either.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the same external drive on x86 XP you can read the entire disc, but with that drive on x64 Windows 7 you can not?

Does your XP system use the same drivers for the USB bus as the Windows 7 system?

Installing a copy of GEAR Pro Mastering edition and running the following commands in the File | Run GEAR Command option will produce a log file which will show the communication between GEAR and the drive. If there is some communication issue with the drive it should show up in this log file.
EXITCDR
SETCDRDEFAULTS SCSILogging true
INITCDR
LOG c:\test.log
DISCINFO
MOUNT
DIR
CLOSEVOL
LOG
Mainframer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the same external drive on x86 XP you can read the entire disc, but with that drive on x64 Windows 7 you can not?

This is precisely the problem.

Does your XP system use the same drivers for the USB bus as the Windows 7 system?

No.

x86 XP DVD device driver properties:
Provider: Microsoft
Date: 7/1/2001
Version: 5.1.2535.0

x86 XP USB mass storage device driver (for the DVD player):
Date: 7/1/2001
Version: 5.1.2600.0

x64 Win7 DVD & USB mass storage drivers (both same):
Date: 6/21/2006
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Here's the logging info:

;New log file created at 2011 02 16 15:30:35
;Logging started.
;API Version = 3.56.044.01
;Recorder default SCSILogging set to TRUE.
INITCDR
;Selected recorder interface: GEARAspi driver (cyclic buffering)
;Driver found: GEARAspi for NT.
;Bus 0 found: ScsiPort, supports 2 targets, bus type: unknown.
;GEARDriverInterface::ScanBus () failed.
;ERROR: No recording units found.
;Log file closed at 2011 02 16 15:33:21

Thanks.
Mainframer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some additional interesting information:

If I detach my Lenovo T400 (x64 Win7) from its docking station and plug in the DVD drive, I can then see all of the files on the CD.

However, with the pc undocked and the DVD player plugged in, the log file looks exactly the same as with the pc docked:

;New log file created at 2011 02 16 16:01:25
;Logging started.
;API Version = 3.56.044.01
;Recorder default SCSILogging set to TRUE.
INITCDR
;Selected recorder interface: GEARAspi driver (cyclic buffering)
;Driver found: GEARAspi for NT.
;GEARDriverInterface::ScanBus () failed.
;ERROR: No recording units found.
;Log file closed at 2011 02 16 16:04:29

Also noteworthy, many of the commands that you asked to be executed, e.g. EXITCDR, complete with the error message "Device is locked, command couldn't be executed". This is with or without the pc attached to its docking station. This is why the log files only contain some of the commands that you asked to be executed.

Thanks for your assistance.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the GEARAspi driver set may not be attached to the device, based on this line:

I think that usually you should get something that says GEARPort PnP.

If you look at the Driver Details for the CD/DVD drive in device manager, is GEARAspiWDM.sys listed in the driver file list?

Is the Digital Signer set to Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility?

Are there any other drivers listed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: