FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

DVD-R DL support Parallel Track Path

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Mastering Edition Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Undertaker
Frequent GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: DVD-R DL support Parallel Track Path Reply with quote

Pioneer has created a DVD-R DL that as the same characteristics of DVD-Rom DL. I see the DVD-R DL specifications on Pioneer site and the specifications are the same of DVD-Rom DL, like Track Pitch, Track Reflectivity ecc. In the table Target Specifications of Dual Layer Disc for DVD-R and precisely near to Writing path, there is write Parallel and Opposite. So Pioneer developed a new technology that allows to write in Parallel and Opposite. The DVD Forum has always approved the DVD-R DL specification arrived to version 3.0.
In Gear Pro Mastering you must add DVD-R DL write support and the PTP/OTP options must be available also when I copy a DVD and not only when I create a new DVD-Project.

The DVD-R DL are compatible with (PTP and OTP) Track Path.

Click on link under for see the DVD-R DL Specifications and see the Target Specifications of Dual Layer Disc for DVD-R, precisely near to Writing path. It's Parallel and Opposite.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/60891660DualLayerTechPaper.pdf

I wait a your answer (Gear Pro Mastering owner).
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTP and PTP are not really interchangeable.
DVD-Video uses OTP, and DVD-ROM & some game discs uses PTP.
OTP means that the layer 1 must be smaller than layer 0 and is the normal standard for DVD-V.

As for support for DVD-R DL media, even though the Pioneer DVR-109 is capable of writing these discs, support for it will be via a firmware update when media is finally available. Likewise, GEAR Pro ME will not be able to support this until the media is available, the firmware is there for the drives, and things can be checked and validated.

And you will need to use OTP for DVD-Video discs. That is the standard.

Copying?
A copy should be bit for bit, and will be a replica of the original.
I doubt very much that you will be able to switch the track path.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR PRO Mastering Edition Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: