FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

creating ddp from 2xDLT for DVD-9 using windows copy command

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvshulman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: creating ddp from 2xDLT for DVD-9 using windows copy command Reply with quote

hi there
i have two DLT tapes from which i have to create duplicate tapes. the tapes are for a DVD-9 title. by using GPME's "restore files from tape" function i can extract the image from each tape. of course what i need in order to create the new tapes is one image not two, so apparently i have to "combine" the two files using the copy command in DOS (see "How to restore a CD-ROM or DVD DDP image to disk" in the GEAR How To guides) This all makes sense, but is there not a filesize limit when copying files using DOS? When i tried to combine the layer 0 image with the layer 1 image using the DOS command "copy layer1.dat+layer2.dat dvd9.dat", the resultant file dvd9.dat was only 554kb. i tested the DOS syntax by combining two txt files, one with "abc" in the text and one with "def" in the text. sure enough, the resultant file contained the text "abcdef", so i'm pretty sure the command is correct. has anyone successfully combined two dat files from tape using the copy command in DOS? my layer 0 file was 3.5GB, layer 1 was 1.6GB. I have half a GB of RAM available and i can make straight copies of either of these files using DOS quite succesfully. whats going on?
thanks for taking the time to read this.
ken
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you absolutely have to get these back to DLT?
Will your replication facility accept 2 DVD-R discs with the relevant DDP images written onto them instead?
kvshulman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: dvdr instead of dlt? Reply with quote

hi neil
thanks for the reply.
yes the facility will accept 2xdvdr but ive never done it as tape is so much more reliable. so would i drop the image for each into ISO/UDF DVD-ROM sessions? what about the control.dat and ddpid files that also come off the tape? any idea why my DOS combine files function didnt work?
cheers mate
ken
kvshulman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: incorrect command! Reply with quote

OK ive sorted this out. i'm putting the solution to my own problem here so that others dealing with DLT can track it down if need be.
the gear "how to" guide www.gearsoftware.com/support/documentation/restoreddpimage.cfm
seems to have omitted an important piece of info regarding the copy command in DOS:
to "merge" two .dat files you cannot use the command
"copy file1.dat+file2.dat file3.dat"
because the files are not just .txt files - you have to use a "switch" in the syntax so that DOS understands that youre using binary files (eg .dat).
therefore the correct command is
"copy/b file1.dat+file2.dat file3.dat"
/b is the required switch and seems to make all the difference.
ken shulman
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...therefore the correct command is
"copy/b file1.dat+file2.dat file3.dat"
/b is the required switch and seems to make all the difference.

This is true. This was an oversite when the How-To was created.
I will have the guide corrected to reflect the correct procedure for binary files.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The How-To guide for restoring images from DLT tapes has been revised to properly instruct the use of the copy command to include the '/b' switch
neilwilkes
GEAR Guru - 500 Club

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dvdr instead of dlt? Reply with quote

kvshulman wrote:
hi neil
thanks for the reply.
yes the facility will accept 2xdvdr but ive never done it as tape is so much more reliable. so would i drop the image for each into ISO/UDF DVD-ROM sessions? what about the control.dat and ddpid files that also come off the tape? any idea why my DOS combine files function didnt work?
cheers mate
ken

To get the files to DVD-R (Or +R) all you need are the following 3 files:
DDPID
CONTROL.DAT
IMAGE.DAT
That is it - the checksum & log files are optional.
Repeat for each layer - and I would use the ISO/UDF hybrid type, although straight UDF should be fine.
kvshulman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: ddp shenanigans Reply with quote

michael/neil
thanks guys. michael do you think a future version of GEAR could make a single function of ripping and combining the dat files? thatd be handy. anyway for now i can do everything i want to do so i'm happy. neil, i also tried submitting the DDP on DVD-R as you suggested. it didnt actually work but only because i called layer 0 "main1" and layer 1 "main2". i felt i had to differentiate between them on my hard drive but i presume they both have to be called "main.dat" or at least the same thing. i also noticed that it is only layer 0 that has the control.dat file.
anyway cheers for your input,
ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: