FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

freedb?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: freedb? Reply with quote

I am disappointed a query emailed to support.us@gearsoftware.com has gone unanswered. In it I asked :

Gear dvd looks to have what I am looking for. The only think I don't see on your page is that it connects to the freedb database. Does it?

Thanks, Tom.
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardtc,
All GEAR 7 versions connect to freedb to automatically identify CD-Audio artist names and track titles. When you rip a CD, GEAR uses the freedb names as the file names. Of course, you can edit the name also.

I'll check with Matt Vincent, who checks e-mail sent to support.us@gearsoftware.com, to see if he received your query. I'm sorry you didn't get a reply.

Last edited by Tom Vaughan on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Vaughan wrote:
boardtc,
All GEAR 7 versions connect to freedb to automatically identify CD-Audio artist names and track titles. When you rip a CD, GEAR uses the freedb names as the file names. Of course, you can edit the name also.

I'll check with Matt Vincent, who checks e-mail sent to support.us@gearsoftware.com, to see if he received your query. I'm sorry you didn't get a reply.

Thanks for that. I was just going to download the trial and was dismayed to see the size, 24MB, download time is not an issue, but I like my software a more efficient size. Why is it so big?
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEAR DVD includes a number of features that add to the size, such as the audio codecs (MP3, WMA, OGG, MPEG audio), and the audio editor. It also includes a copy of the manual as a pdf file, accessible from the Help menu.

We review the size of the "payload" with each new release, and we try to minimize it. Thanks for the feedback.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I downloaded to give it a go. Impressed with ripping. The went to burn an audio cd, it converted mp3s, went to write the disc and it popped out some minutes later after burning 24X and the last action resulkt says : recording was successful. Putting the cd in my stereo it came up with the message after trying to read : disc not finalised.

What happened?
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. We'll do our best to help you figure this out if you give us a few details.

Did you create a CD-Audio project?

Does GEAR's disc information tool show you that the disc is a CD-Audio disc?

How many minute of audio are on the disc?
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Vaughan wrote:
Did you create a CD-Audio project?

Yes.

Tom Vaughan wrote:
Does GEAR's disc information tool show you that the disc is a CD-Audio disc?

Volume Type of the projecr says Audio CD.

Tom Vaughan wrote:
How many minute of audio are on the disc?

It's a normal length album, 414mb of wav files. Just notice now that the time in the title bar is 79 minutes but the individual tracks add up to about 41 minutes, so I am confused.
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused also... but we'll figure it out.

If you play the disc on your PC, with Windows Media Player, do the track lengths look right? Are the pauses between the tracks 2 seconds long?

Not finalized would suggest that the disc has no lead-out, which is the area that is written after the last track. If GEAR indicated that the recording was OK, it should have written the lead-out.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left things a few days as I was frustrated with having problems with yet another burner program.

Tom Vaughan wrote:

If you play the disc on your PC, with Windows Media Player, do the track lengths look right? Are the pauses between the tracks 2 seconds long?

It plays on the pc fine. The pause was 2 seconds between the first and second when I played it. I burned this cd for my stereo though and now it does not work on it Sad Any more ideas why it did not work?

I want to test burning a dvd tonight. My source is a 600mg mpeg file. BUt I am loathe to waste a dvd if it does not work like the cd burner didn't.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I tried to burn a dvd tonight, my source is 3 mpg files totaling 1.5gb. I tried creating a dvd-video but it looked for some other files. I then searched the help file for mpg but there was no entries. What should I do?

Also, how can I get the cd burner working to the burns work on my stereo.?

I am running xp pro sp 2

Last edited by boardtc on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardtc,

"So, I treid to bun a dvd tonight, my source is 3 mpg files totaling 1.5gb. I tried creating a dvd-video but it looked for some other files. I then searched the help file for mpg but there was no entries. What should I do? "

Are you trying to create DVD-Video(ISO/UDF) or just a data DVD with the three mpg files? This version of GEAR cannot convert a mpeg into the necessary structure for a VIDEO_TS folder. However, GEAR Video does:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/videodemo.cfm

You may wish to download the trial and try both the CD-Audio and DVD-Video projects with that version. Here is a tutorial for the video procedures:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/documentation/dvd-authoring.cfm
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
Are you trying to create DVD-Video(ISO/UDF) or just a data DVD with the three mpg files? This version of GEAR cannot convert a mpeg into the necessary structure for a VIDEO_TS folder. However, GEAR Video does:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/videodemo.cfm

I'm afraid I don't know the technoplogy names. I want to burn a dvd to watch on my dvd player. Is that DVD-Video(ISO/UDF) ?

Matt V wrote:

You may wish to download the trial and try both the CD-Audio and DVD-Video projects with that version. Here is a tutorial for the video procedures:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/documentation/dvd-authoring.cfm

Hang on you are recommending me to try gear video instead of gear dvd to burn dvds? Ok. I guess the naming choice make sense to someone Smile

Compared to a lot I'm pretty clued up on these things so it's very confusing I would suggest... and as a result diluting your market potential, just my 2 cents.

Does the CD-Audio work different in gear video? I have tried so much burning software that it's frustrating.

I'll wait to hear form you before trying gear video.

Thanks, Tom.

Last edited by boardtc on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardtc,

If you would like to watch a DVD on a standard DVD player attached to a TV, then you will need to create a DVD-Video(ISO/UDF) project and burn a disc accordingly.

I would definitely suggest GEAR Video over GEAR DVD for what you have described as your goals. GEAR Video will allow you to record audio CD's, convert your mpeg files into the VIDEO_TS structure, and then record the video onto a DVD.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
If you would like to watch a DVD on a standard DVD player attached to a TV, then you will need to create a DVD-Video(ISO/UDF) project and burn a disc accordingly.

Good info, thanks.
Matt V wrote:

I would defiantly suggest GEAR Video over GEAR DVD for what you have described as your goals. GEAR Video will allow you to record audio CD's, convert your mpeg files into the VIDEO_TS structure, and then record the video onto a DVD.

Cool. To confirm then Gear video will rip with freedb lookup and burn with cd text too? If so, I'll download and try the cd and dvd burns tonight.
boardtc
Super GEARhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my tonight means now it 23.11. Smile

When you get a chance let me know.

Thanks, Tom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR DVD Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: