FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

iTunes - Vista Home Premium - No CDRW/DVD Drive
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dhas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: iTunes - Vista Home Premium - No CDRW/DVD Drive Reply with quote

There where earlier postings on this but no solutions, some mentions of an iTunes problem.... my problem is the GEARAspiWDM UpperFilter registry value not compatible with Vista. If I remove the UpperFilter entry from the registry, reboot my machine, Vista recognizes and shows my Sony DRU-710A cdrw drive, but iTunes can't burn CDs if that registry entry is missing.....I've updated the firmware on the drive, updated iTunes, tried installing the latest Gear driver for vista.....If i install iTunes or the Gear driver, it re-adds that registry entry, and if I reboot the system can no longer see drive....niether does iTunes. The only way I can get iTunes to burn a cd now is to remove the upperfilter entry from teh registry, reboot, then reinstall iTunes, it will then work untill I reboot the system. This is obviously a Vista - Gear software issue..... does anyone know why Vista can't recognize my drive with the upperfilter registry entry in ?
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is likely some other drivers are conflicting with the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver.

Our drivers are signed by Microsoft, so they indeed are absolutely compatible with Vista:

Dhas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuring me that your drivers are 100% compatible with vista, doesn't solve my problem. The facts are: if the system (Vista) tries to load your drivers, my CDROM drive fails and isn't recognized by Vista.... or any other program. Since a search on the subject brings up a lot of people with the same issue and different drives, the one factor is iTunes which tries to load GearSoftware drivers.

The image you show is axactly what I see on my device driver for the CDrom drive, but on General Tab: This device cannot start. (Code 10) and it only happens when trying to load the gearsoftware driver. [/list]
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a driver conflict of some kind.

Dhas wrote:
my problem is the GEARAspiWDM UpperFilter registry value not compatible with Vista

I posted a screen shot of the GEAR drivers as being signed to illustrate that the GEAR drivers indeed work on Vista, and if Microsoft signed them then there's no debate in whether or not they do 'work' on Vista.

If you have any virtual CD software, i.e. Daemon Tools, Alcohol etc, they also use 'filter drivers' - which have been known conflict with GEAR and other third-party drivers.

See:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=SPTD_Drivers
Dhas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked installed software and can't locate anything that could be conflicting. I'm not saying that there isn't any software, but I can't locate any . Nothing was installed on the system for over a week prior to installing an iTunes update...the problem started after that. Reverting to previous versions of iTunes doesn't solve the problem.... The only solution is to uninstall iTunes which removes the registry setting or delete the registry setting which disables burning of CDs in iTunes. If someone could tell me which version of iTunes doesn't require the UpperFilter setting, maybe I could use that.
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple has licensed the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver for adding CD/DVD functionality to iTunes for Windows. Without it, iTunes will still function, although without CD/DVD functionality.

Reverting to an older version of iTunes is not going to address the issue. Something on your system is preventing Windows from loading the GEAR drivers.

When you applied the 'update' of iTunes, did you do so using their 'automatic update' procedure, or did you uninstall the current version, and download a fresh new install?

(This is unlikely, as I wouldn't have done this either)
Wink
Dhas

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when iTunes is started a popup states a newer version is available - clicking yes, brings you to their website. I download the latest version which updates itunes, it was after this that the CD/DVD didn't work in iTunes....but was fine prior to it.
jackgolin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: GEARAspiWDM UpperFilter registry value incompatible w Vista Reply with quote

Dhas' description of the his CD Drive inaccessibility after installing tunes/Gear Software due to the "UpperFilter" entry in the registry has been exactly! my problem from the start since buying my new Vista Gateway GT5453E machine ... Gateway has given up on it saying it is an iTunes issue.
Here is what I think is happening: (1) iTunes (along with the Gear Software used for CD burning are) is (independently) compatible with VISTA, (2) the Microsoft issued driver for the Standard CD-ROM Device (in my case an "HL-DT-ST DVDROM GSA-H$)N ATA Device") is of course compatible with Vista since it was issues by Microsoft. ... HOWEVER: the two drivers together (the GEAR software and the DVD/CD-ROM Driver cannot coexist, because GEAR needs the "UpperFilter" entry in the registry, and the DVD/CD-ROM Driver does not work with that entry in the registry. I have tested it repeatedly and that's how it is. So like Dhas I am now living with working DVD/CD ROM and iTunes but without iTunes' CD Music Burn capability agter having removed the Filter entry in the registry. NOT GOOD! for the customer. The key Question: how does a mere mortal customer like myself get MS, iTunes/GEAR, and the PC manufacturer to collaborate to solve the problem? ... each one says go to the other ...
maybe GEAR can take the initiative and give the Vista folks a call and ask them to fix their CD-ROM driver to live with the Filter entry(ies) in the registry ... or Gear redo their software to not need the Filter entry ...
WW

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is search on Google for something like "I Tunes no CD drive Vista" and you will see the mass frustration this issue is causing. No one is addressing it properly. It would be nice if one of the parties would finally take some initiative and come up with a fix. Many of us who want to burn a CD from I-Tunes have to uninstall, then reinstall I-Tunes, then when we want to use our CD drive for anything else we have to do the now famous registry fix, which will take out the burning ability of I-Tunes again, and we will need to go through the same process again. This is not just one or two people who have this issue. It is quite common and is not a positive for Apple, Microsoft or Gear. Again, if you think this is a small problem spend some time on Google searching this issue, you will see how much of a problem this is. Many forums have discussed this, and you will see that it happens on many of the XP machines out there too. Please, would someone fix this? All I want is I-Tunes to work like it should on my Gateway laptop. The process I have to go through now is really absurd when you figure the advances that have been made in technology, 3 big companies cannot even figure out how to make their products work together...very sad.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhas, in your posting you state that:
Quote:
The only way I can get iTunes to burn a cd now is to remove the upperfilter entry from teh registry, reboot, then reinstall iTunes, it will then work untill I reboot the system.

So iTunes and Vista both see the recorder after installing iTunes? If so, than this means that our drivers (and UpperFilter entry) function correctly on Vista.

The problem only appears to occur after rebooting the system.

The symptoms you described usually indicate that the GEARAspiWDM service has not started, usually due to the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver file not being present on the system or being corrupt. However, since the behavior is occurring after a reboot, it sounds like Vista may be blocking the driver from running.

In System Information (Windows\System32\msinfo32.exe), check under Software Environment|System Drivers if the gearaspiwdm driver is started, State is set to Running and the Status is OK.

After installing (or updating to) the latest driver set from our website (http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.cfm) you should have the following files on the system:
gearaspiwdmx64.cat in Windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} or
gearaspiwdmx86.cat in Windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} and
GEARAspiWDM.inf in Windows\inf
marc_fuller@cargill.com

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: I have the same issue Reply with quote

Interesting. . . I've been trying to figure out this issue on my PC as well (Optical drives disappearing as soon as GEAR drivers are installed). For me, it all started with one of the later iTunes upgrades in the last couple months. It used to work fine.

I've gone through the process of manually removing the GEAR drivers from the registry (per instructions on this site) and then reinstalling the latest 32-bit version of the drivers. They installed, my drives were available, and iTunes seemed to start correctly with DVD functionality. . . that is, until I rebooted. The drives are gone now, and the only way I've found to get them back is to delete the Upperfilter reference.

Per your latest post, I ran msinfo32.exe and found that, in fact, my gearaspiwdm is not started, is in a stopped state, and is set to a manual start mode. Can you advise on how to start the driver manually, or, better yet, set it for automatic start mode?
jackgolin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: FRAN's reply to iTunes/Gear/Vista problem Reply with quote

Fran's summary of what happens is not quite correct:

after installing iTunes (which also installs the Gear CD burning software) the cd/dvd drive is IMMEDIATELY no longer recognized! ...

then after removing the "UpperFilter" entry in the registry, the CD/CVD Drive is again recognized ... all seems to work ...

Then, after rebooting (at which time the "UpperFilter" entry is restored in the registry), the CD Drive is again not recognized ...

so I had to remove the filter entry again and just leave it out ... not reinstall iTunes/Gear, and live with not having the Music Burn functionality

Agin: how can one induce Vista and Gear to get together and resolve the registry conflict issue ... CDDrive and Gear each work alone but not together
Michael Szabo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE - We need to get past this idea that the GEAR drivers "don't work" on Vista and/or XP, and start looking at 'why' the OS isn't loading them on a reboot.

I am running Vista Ultimate x86 (32-bit) at the office here:

I have ALL GEAR Software products v7.03 for Windows, GEAR Video 8.20, GEAR Video 9.00 installed.
I have iTunes v7.6.29 installed
I have Daemon Tools 4.09HE installed with Duplex Secure's SPTD 1.45 driver installed

There is a known issue with Daemon Tools - see:
http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=SPTD_Drivers

All of this on Vista Ultimate Edition - with NO issues whatsoever.

Every single post on our forums and other forums about this issue usually state this, or similar:

Quote:
The only way I can get iTunes to burn a cd now is to remove the upperfilter entry from teh registry, reboot, then reinstall iTunes, it will then work untill I reboot the system.

Meaning: The GEARAspiWDM.sys driver works on Vista and XP with iTunes (whatever version) and whatever else you might have installed, as it does for me.

The PROBLEM is there seems to be a lot of issues with the 'state' of the users' operating systems. It is the OS that is not loading the drivers on a reboot, not that the GEAR drivers "don't work".

If iTunes works - you can rip/burn discs until a reboot, how can anyone state that the GEARAspiWDM.sys driver is not compatible with Vista? If it isn't compatible with Vista, why does it work when iTunes is first installed, and why is it working now and has always worked for me on Vista? I reboot my PC at the office usually every day.

For everyone that is experiencing these issues, there is something going on with your OS that is preventing the GEAR drivers from loading after reboot. It could be a permissions issue (was the app installed with sufficient user privileges - i.e. Administrator?)

I know I already linked this graphic in this thread, but if GEARAspiWDM.sys "doesn't work" with Vista and/or XP, why is it signed by Microsoft?

WW

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is blaming Gear for this problem, people are only asking for some assistance to get this resolved. I would think that Microsoft could send an update out for Vista that would prevent the OS from having this conflict when it is rebooted. It is quite obvious that the drivers work, it is also obvious that Vista can't deal with them on the re-boot. I have uninstalled iTunes and Quick Time again, reinstalled the latest iTunes version, as the administrator, and installed the latest Gear drivers. Again it all worked great until I rebooted, then I lost the CD drive, and had to delete the filter again in the registry to get it back. However, I did discover a nice little fix. When I downloaded the Gear driver I saved it to the desktop. I can just re-install the driver when I need to burn on iTunes, and then delete the filter again after I am done to avoid losing the CD drive. This is not ideal, but is much easier than reinstalling iTunes each time I want to burn a disk!! I am still not satisfied with the way the products work together, but at least I have a band-aid for now.
Frans
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Fuller, it sounds like Vista is for some reason preventing the driver from running.

The system event logs may indicate why they are not being started.

I am not sure how to re-start a filter driver such as GEARAspiWDM since this type of driver does not show up in the system service manager.

The Manual setting for the start mode is the correct one and should not be changed.

BTW are you running Vista on a 64bit or 32bit system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: