FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Ghost 9 does not "see" my Gear-supported CD burner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aieronimo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Ghost 9 does not "see" my Gear-supported CD burner Reply with quote

After being unsuccessful in getting Symantec's Ghost 9 to "see" my Yamaha CRW2200IX (firewire) CD burner, I downloaded a trial version of Acronis' True Image 8 -- which is Ghost's competitor. True Image had no problem whatsoever in seeing my burner. Moreover, after installing the trial version of True Image, Ghost 9 was able to "see" my CD burner! Thinking that my problem was resolved, I rolled back the installation of True Image -- only to discover that Ghost 9 no longer "sees" my burner.

It's pretty clear that True Image's burner drivers filled in for the drivers missing from the Ghost 9 installation. However, Gear's website indicates that my burner is supported by Gear's drivers. So that I do not have to switch from Ghost 9 to True Image 8 (losing what I paid for Ghost 9 and spending an extra $50 for True Image), I would appreciate if Gear could let me know if there is a solution to my problem. In short, can I get drivers from Gear that will do for Ghost 9 what True Image's drivers did?

I am running Windows 2000.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Randy T
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aieronimo,

You can go to the Support page and click on the drivers link. Download the latest GEAR driver set. If you still have issues, please contact Symantec's support.
aieronimo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Ghost 9 does not "see" my Gear-supported CD burner Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. But may I ask that you clarify a few things regarding your advice?

Should the order of actions be:

Step 1: Download and install the "gearsec compatibility driver installer" from the link below:

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers/index.cfm

Step 2: Reboot.

Step 3: Overwrite three of the files updated in (or remaining after) the installation of Step 1 with the files available at the link below:

ftp://downloads.gearsoftware.com/updates/windows/recorders/GEARwrks351

Step 4: Reboot.

With the above, I'm trying to make sure that I understand a couple of things. First, Symantec's Norton Ghost 9 does use the "old" gearsec drivers. Second, the driver installation in Step 1 does not itself contain all of the most updated files and so a download and substitution of three files from the GEARwrks351 link is also required. Third, the fix isn't complete without a reboot.

I would appreciate if you could confirm my understanding above before I attempt this fix. Wink

Thank you again for your kind assistance.
Matt V
GEAR Support Technician

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aieronimo,

The two parts to updating GEAR are the drivers and the configuration files. Once you run the installer to update the drivers, a reboot is necessary. Then you can copy the latest configuration files to overwrite the previous ones. No reboot is necessary after copying the configuration files.

Please let me know if you would like further explanations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> Advice for GEAR powered software products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: