FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile       

Pre-Purchase frustrations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinXG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Pre-Purchase frustrations Reply with quote

I downloaded GEAR Video with the intention of purchasing it after giving it a quick test run, however I've run into two stumbling blocks that have me wondering.

Issue #1: I ripped a CD to OGG - 192, 44100, 2 channel and noticed that a 46M audio file was very small, around 2M. I was expecting something around 6M. On playback using Winamp I noticed that the bitrate was varying between 43-71Kbps. What's going on???

Issue #2: I can't copy files to a 8.5 DL DVD. The hardware I have and the DVDs are all compatible. GEAR Video let's me do the 4.7G DVDs but won't budge on the 8.5's.

Are these known issues with this product and is this the proper place to report them?
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinXG,
This is the proper place to report issues like this. These are not "known problems".

For the OGG issue - we'll test this and let you know if we see the same thing.

For the DVD DL issue... please let us know if you are using DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL, as well as the type of blank media you are using and the brand and model of your drive.

Also, let us know what version of Windows you are using.

Thank you for your feedback. We'll work with you to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.
LinXG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Tom;

Wow, fast response. I will gather all the information you requested and send it along tomorrow.

Thanks again
LinXG
LinXG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: More info and partial solution Reply with quote

Hi Tom;

After additional testing here is some more information.

CD Ripping to OGG: I ripped a 44M file to OGG at 128, 160, 192, 256 and consistently got a 2,078 KB ogg file that shows a rate of between 43 - 63 Kbps on playback with Winamp. This suggests VBR although VBR is not an option.

I ripped the same 44M file at 320 and got a 10,303 KB file that plays at a flat 320Kbps on Winamp.

-----------------------------

My DVD burning problem seems to be related to file size.

The disc information function on GEAR Video shows the DVD with 8152.71MB of space, which seems odd for something labelled 8.5GB.

If the files size that I want to copy is grossly outside the 8.5GB limit then GEAR Video flags a problem during the drag and drop of the files.

However if the file size is close to the limit it waits until after you click the "Yes" button to start the burn then it just gives a message saying it can't burn the file.

When I was finally able to get a good filesize I noted the following when checking the file properties in Windows.

Size: 7.78GB (8,357,336,793 bytes)
Size on Disk: 7.80GB (8,383,299,584 bytes)

I hadn't paid any attention to this initially as 7.78 or 7.80GB is nowhere near 8.5GB.

So what is the relationship between your program's number of 8151.71 MB and what windows is showing???

I guess for the average user it would be a lot easier if GEAR Video just had an indicator of some sort that told you when you were getting close to the limit of what could be burned to disk.

Thanks again for your help and assistance.
Tom Vaughan
GEAR Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinXG,
Very interesting. Thanks for the expert detective work on the OGG encoding. I'll ask our QA department to check into this.

The absolute maximum you can squeeze onto a DVD+R DL disc (as per the specifications for DVD+R DL) is 8,547,991,552 bytes. When they say 8.5 Gigabytes, they really mean 8.5 Billion bytes. This is actually slightly less than 8 GB. But don't try this... you need to leave some headroom, or you will run into problems. You need room for the ISO/UDF file system. It generally isn't a good idea to try to stuff a disc to it's full capacity.

A kilobyte is 2 to the 10th power bytes, or 1024 bytes. This is 2.4% bigger than 1000 bytes... but this is rarely an issue.
A Megabyte is 2 to the 20th power bytes, or 1,048,576 bytes (1024 x 1024) bytes... this is 4.8% larger than 1,000,000 bytes, but it is rarely an issue.
A Gigabyte is really 2 to the 30th power bytes, or 1,073,741,824 bytes. This is 7.4% larger than 1 billion bytes, and it is always an issue since hard drive and optical disc manufacturers started using the term Gigabytes to mean billion bytes when they describe disk capacity (stretching the truth by 7.4%, and confusing everyone in the process).
LinXG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any change is the status of the OGG encoding issue I raised some months ago?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GEAR Software - CD / DVD Burning Software Forum Index -> GEAR Video All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: